Waiting And Staying For A Minute

Sarah Hunt

I was wondering if you can help, we take Merlin to training, he will wait for a minute at home/in the garden no problems. At training he gets excited and distracted , we have had a few new different dogs come and go. Do you think this why? or one other dog and three bitches in the class. He used to do waiting no problems. I call this problem (he is being a teenager) He is still only 17 months.

If you have any ideas on how to help, I would be very grateful.

running_dog

Honored Member
All dogs forget in new places and yes a training class is exciting and distracting and new dogs do make it into a new place and that is great because this is your opportunity for you to build up a 1 minute wait in a "new" place.

At training I'd just start back with a really simple 1 second wait and reward, build it up very gradually (maybe even silently count 1 and reward, count 2 and reward, count 3... so it is almost impossible for him to make mistakes (if he does make a mistake make it simpler before you start building it up again) until you get back to that elusive minute.

I do sympathise as I'm working on transferring Zac's home training to the rest of the world - with another dog, with more dogs, with different dogs, in the street, the park, the sheep field, the garage, my friend's houses... every time he seems to have forgotten almost everything and we have to start really simple... again.

fly30

Experienced Member
When we used to attend education classes when Fly was a puppy, I used to practice outside when we went for walks. 5 minutes no more, but she got used to practicing while other things happened around us. So do practice at home, but also outside, and you will notice positive changes after a while.

Sarah Hunt

All dogs forget in new places and yes a training class is exciting and distracting and new dogs do make it into a new place and that is great because this is your opportunity for you to build up a 1 minute wait in a "new" place.

At training I'd just start back with a really simple 1 second wait and reward, build it up very gradually (maybe even silently count 1 and reward, count 2 and reward, count 3... so it is almost impossible for him to make mistakes (if he does make a mistake make it simpler before you start building it up again) until you get back to that elusive minute.

I do sympathise as I'm working on transferring Zac's home training to the rest of the world - with another dog, with more dogs, with different dogs, in the street, the park, the sheep field, the garage, my friend's houses... every time he seems to have forgotten almost everything and we have to start really simple... again.
Thank you for your reply, I will definitely try this, and will let you know how I get on. Sarah

Sarah Hunt

When we used to attend education classes when Fly was a puppy, I used to practice outside when we went for walks. 5 minutes no more, but she got used to practicing while other things happened around us. So do practice at home, but also outside, and you will notice positive changes after a while.
Thank you for your reply, this is interesting, I will try it when we are on our walks. Sarah

Lburton

Practice, practice, practice. Also, build up Merlin's focus in less-distracting environments first. Start at your home, and if he does well there, go to a friend's house with him and work with him some there. After he is performing like you want him to there, move to a park or backyard where there aren't any more dogs or lots of wildlife around. Once he's rock-solid, go to your training class and don't expect the world out of him, anyway you prepare it's going to be difficult because there are so many other friends he has yet to make! Have him just sit and stay right in front of you for literally 1 second. Then, when he accomplishes that, lavish him with praise! If he becomes a little too much to handle, ask for the trainer that is conducting the training class for some hands-on assistance. Good luck!

harrontrueman

You need to make sure also that training sessions will not take too much time as they have short attention. Focus more on the body language and give one signal at a time.