Update On Atlas And My Son!

ohSNAPCAKES

Hey! Sorry I just kinda disappeared after voicing my concerns about Atlas knocking my son over! My father passed away, followed by my grandfather, so I was just away from the internet for a while.

But I am back! And happy to report that there is no longer an issue! (y) It took only about two weeks of really working on things, and then it suddenly just seemed to click. Now Atlas waits for me to move my son out of the way, or goes around if that's an option. Our new thing is teaching MY SON not to hurt ATLAS! That soft hair looks so nice, he just wants to yank on it! :ROFLMAO: So we are now into baby training. ;)

While I'm here, Honey is doing fabulously! She only has sit, down and come really solid so far. But that is my fault for slacking! She does have come and wait down flawlessly, though! Stay is proving to be harder, she wants to follow that hound nose!

southerngirl

Honored Member
YAY CHEERS HIP HIP HORRAY!!(y) I'm so so happy to hear Atlas has learned to respect your son, that's really great. Good for you on taking the time and teaching him instead of getting rid of him like so many sadly do when they have children :):D Good luck on teaching your son to respect Atlas.
That's great Honey is going good and learning her basic commands. If you couldn't love to see some of her tricks on video.

running_dog

Honored Member
Hey! Sorry I just kinda disappeared after voicing my concerns about Atlas knocking my son over! My father passed away, followed by my grandfather, so I was just away from the internet for a while.
So sorry to hear about the sad time you've been going through.

But I am back!
Welcome back! I was just wondering how you were getting on so I was really excited when I saw there was a new thread from you :).

And happy to report that there is no longer an issue! (y) It took only about two weeks of really working on things, and then it suddenly just seemed to click. Now Atlas waits for me to move my son out of the way, or goes around if that's an option.
That is absolutely amazing news! You've done brilliantly. Well done! Congratulations! I'm just so happy for you and so pleased it has worked out. (y)(y)(y)(y)

Our new thing is teaching MY SON not to hurt ATLAS! That soft hair looks so nice, he just wants to yank on it! :ROFLMAO: So we are now into baby training. ;)
That is never so easy as training the dog!

While I'm here, Honey is doing fabulously! She only has sit, down and come really solid so far. But that is my fault for slacking! She does have come and wait down flawlessly, though! Stay is proving to be harder, she wants to follow that hound nose!
Nice work with Honey too (y). How are you training stay?

MaryK

Honored Member
So sorry to hear all you've been through, such a hard time for you all.

Welcome back though and so pleased you have taken the time to train Atlas to respect your son. That's wonderful and as Danielle said, so good to hear as so many beautiful dogs end up in shelters because people don't bother to train them, especially with children.

Now training your son, that's probably a bit harder, all that lovely soft fur must be tempting. Just keep at it, not sure if click/treat will work but you may be able to develop something along those lines!

ohSNAPCAKES

Sorry I never replied to anyone! My phone and Internet were shut off for a bit.
I am sad to have to report that Honey went to live with my cousin. My husband lost his job, and we just could not afford to keep her. I cried for probably a day straight, but we didn't have much of a choice. She is happy and healthy with my cousin, though, and her name is now Athena. I miss her spunky little spirit, but I feel good knowing she is with someone who can afford to feed her.

ohSNAPCAKES

We still have Atlas though! And we will soon be renting our second bedroom out to a young couple who own a 6 month old border collie.

running_dog

Honored Member
I am sad to have to report that Honey went to live with my cousin. My husband lost his job, and we just could not afford to keep her.
That is terribly difficult for you, I am so sorry that your husband lost his job and you have had to give up Honey :cry:. It must have been one of the hardest decisions, I know I find it harder to give up pets for that sort of reason than if they die... pets dying is part of having pets but having to let one go to another home is something that isn't. Well done to you for making such a difficult decision and doing what is right and best for Honey (y). I hope your husband soon finds work. Quite apart from the direct financial impact it is really tough living with that sort of uncertainty that comes with unemployment. I'm glad are still able to keep Atlas and I hope he enjoys meeting his new border collie buddy :)

MaryK

Honored Member
So very sorry you've had to give up Honey. Everything Running Dog said above is how I feel. My partner too has been unemployed, somehow we've managed, with the help of his Mom, to keep Leaf and, although not planned, rescued another little puppy, but boy has it been tough. Coming on top of the massive vet bills from both Rakins and Zeus, virtually all our savings were gone. We take so much for granted when the moneys flowing in, but unemployment is the pits, and strikes so quickly too. My partner wasn't given any notice at all because he was sub-contracting on the job. Just they were 'cost cutting' so bye see you kinda thing!

Hope your husband, like my partner, will soon find work and the young couple work out to be grand.