Trick Challenge: Limp

running_dog

Honored Member
In this challenge we can train either front leg limp or hind leg limp depending on what our dogs already know.

This is a video on how to train front leg limp:

This is a video on how to train back leg limp:

This is the video referred to at the end of the back leg limp video (it shows how to teach your dog to lift his/her leg):

We have about three weeks to train this trick. If you can please submit a video on or before Saturday the 12th April. If you prefer you can submit each stage separately. Your video/s should include:

1. Part of your first training session teaching your dog to hold his/her leg up or a demonstration of this trick if your dog already knows it.
2. Part of your first training session teaching your dog to move while holding his/her leg up.
3. The final trick repeated 3 times in the same clip.

If you know you won't be able to submit a video for whatever reason do please still train along with us... the more of us join in the more fun it is and the more we can learn from each other and our dogs.

Any questions/suggestions/ideas/hints about this challenge please post them in this thread, ideas for other challenges please post them in "Who Is Interested In A Trick Challenge".

running_dog

Honored Member
I couldn't find a video demonstration for a shaping-without-targeting limp but that is what I am going to try to start with. My outline training plan for limp is:

Click for standing dog.
Click for weight shift/paw movement/paw lift/pawing at me (Zac has some idea of being rewarded for foot movement already) I'm hoping to get him really confident that that is what I want - initially I just want him to be totally convinced that I want that leg, then that leg moving, then that leg up.
Click for repeated or prolonged paw lift.

During the above I'm expecting to be combining, active rewards (thrown treat/ball) as well as hand fed to encourage a lethargic/easily bored Zac to be on his feet and engaged. I think that for the limping movement I might use luring probably getting the sequence lift leg-take step-lift leg at first, but that is a guess and I'll work out what to expect as I get to that stage :). I suppose I could go back to weight shifts on the supporting leg to shape the movement?

If any of you have a better idea of a training plan for a shaping-without-targeting limp please let me know - I'd love to have more ideas :cool:

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
I couldn't find a video demonstration for a shaping-without-targeting limp but that is what I am going to try to start with. My outline training plan for limp is:

Click for standing dog.
Click for weight shift/paw movement/paw lift/pawing at me (Zac has some idea of being rewarded for foot movement already) I'm hoping to get him really confident that that is what I want - initially I just want him to be totally convinced that I want that leg, then that leg moving, then that leg up.
Click for repeated or prolonged paw lift.

During the above I'm expecting to be combining, active rewards (thrown treat/ball) as well as hand fed to encourage a lethargic/easily bored Zac to be on his feet and engaged. I think that for the limping movement I might use luring probably getting the sequence lift leg-take step-lift leg at first, but that is a guess and I'll work out what to expect as I get to that stage :). I suppose I could go back to weight shifts on the supporting leg to shape the movement?

If any of you have a better idea of a training plan for a shaping-without-targeting limp please let me know - I'd love to have more ideas :cool:
Really interesting approach - can't wait to see how you get on!

running_dog

Honored Member
Really interesting approach - can't wait to see how you get on!

Interesting might well be the right word for it... successful? Maybe not so much :D

I am SO out of practice with this kind of shaping!

I know most people say to introduce the cues later but I think having a cue earlier might help Zac understand what he is building on... A lot of experiments going on here :rolleyes:

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Interesting might well be the right word for it... successful? Maybe not so much :D

I know most people say to introduce the cues later but I think having a cue earlier might help Zac understand what he is building on... A lot of experiments going on here :rolleyes:
I think you are doing yourself down here! I think you are making progress and tapping into Zac having to really think, which is great and what you want. Well done you I say!

With the cue - I feel it is up to you if you feel it will help Zac. Love the fact you are experimenting here! Experimenting is the way you will learn the most!

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
River did really well with the holding his leg up today. We have been working a lot on putting a foot up on a step, backing up onto a step and side stepping and putting a front and back foot up on an object.
This is actually better then I though he would do with this:

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I would like to join this challenge, if that's okay. I don't have a reliable video camera, so I'll post what I can. Brody can already do a "lift" of both hind legs when I wipe his feet when it's raining.

brody_smom

Experienced Member

I just watched a video of Jean Cote (I signed up for his "Walk in Harmony" course ) where he talks about the "W", the three peaks of arousal with the two valleys of training in between. Do you start and end your sessions with some tugging or other arousing play, with a short game of tug when his interest begins to lag? This has revolutionized shaping for me, having those balance breaks for the really heavy brain work.

running_dog

Honored Member
Do you start and end your sessions with some tugging or other arousing play, with a short game of tug when his interest begins to lag?
No I don't, thanks for the suggestion I'll try working that in in future although tug is something he is iffy with at present so I'll have to think about what to use.

I do usually throw at least some of the treats for him to chase maybe that is like a balance break? :confused: But he wasn't really up for chasing them in that session - did you notice at the end I actually had to send him after that treat? Usually he would be rushing and pouncing on it, his self control is not so good that he needs a release cue to chase a treat!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
River did really well with the holding his leg up today. We have been working a lot on putting a foot up on a step, backing up onto a step and side stepping and putting a front and back foot up on an object.
This is actually better then I though he would do with this:
Well done you and River! He is picking that up really well!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
I just watched a video of Jean Cote (I signed up for his "Walk in Harmony" course ) where he talks about the "W", the three peaks of arousal with the two valleys of training in between. Do you start and end your sessions with some tugging or other arousing play, with a short game of tug when his interest begins to lag? This has revolutionized shaping for me, having those balance breaks for the really heavy brain work.
That sounds like a really good idea, I hadn't thought of that either!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
No I don't, thanks for the suggestion I'll try working that in in future although tug is something he is iffy with at present so I'll have to think about what to use.

I do usually throw at least some of the treats for him to chase maybe that is like a balance break? :confused: But he wasn't really up for chasing them in that session - did you notice at the end I actually had to send him after that treat? Usually he would be rushing and pouncing on it, his self control is not so good that he needs a release cue to chase a treat!
I wish Ripley needed a release cue to chase a treat!! She just sees food and all control goes out the window! :ROFLMAO: