Trick Challenge: Leg Weave And Variations

MaryK

Honored Member
I think I finally figured out what you mean, I'm having a slow day, I'm sorry :rolleyes:

I think the backing round you while you turn with her solution will work but the answer possibly also lies in this part of my earlier post which I should really have explained a bit more.

Firstly when teaching Zac a moving trick I try to avoid physical manipulation. Taking the steps is part of the learning process. Zac needs to feel the movement.

Secondly I don't look for a full circle at first, I look for Zac's/Gus's legs moving a little in the direction I want and click the movement. It doesn't take long, maybe 3 or 4 increments normally give Zac the general idea. Look at where you are rewarding Leaf and experiment to find what position starts to swing her backside round a little and build on that. There will be a reward position that does that - that's why dogs get "unbalanced" so easily, For example during recall if Zac is always rewarded by my right hand he starts to sit pointing ever so slightly at that hand.
Again, thank you very much, I'm learning so much it's great!:D(n)

I don't like manipulating Leaf, in fact it's the first time I've done that and feel awful doing so. So I will not do it again - promise!

I'll watch for that moment when her hind quarters start to make a turn and also when I click then treat. I sure don't won't to cause her to feel/become unbalanced.

LOL Zac's a little more polite, waiting nicely and just pointing to your hand. Leaf will paw/jump/mug me for a treat, she is that food orientated. I try sometimes to lure just using my hand, rather than having a treat in my hand (which has to be held very securely otherwise she will stop whatever we're doing and give my hand a good swipe to knock the treat out of it). Just using my hand works, provided it stinks of treats:rolleyes:

Again, thank you so much for all your help. Now I know what I'm doing, Leaf will be a very happy girly. And thanks to Zac for being such a good dog and demonstrating so well in the video.:D

MaryK

Honored Member

This is our attempt at the weave challenge. I hope that I uploaded the video correctly. (Thanks, running_dog, for the instructions:) ) If I was supposed to post separate clips of what he knows already and then the training of the new variation, I apologize. Just let me know, and I will do better in the future.

I chose to teach backwards weaving and used the terms swing and sway. I began by luring Seamus into positions. Then I transitioned to using hand touches to get him into position on either side of me. The last part shows how we ended the training session. I am very pleased with his progress. The movements that I had to make felt awkward, which is normal for me when trying a new move, but if I can figure out myself, I think Shea will take to this new variation nicely.
Fabulous weaving! Given me ideas with my girl, once I've got the reverse weave sorted (I've made a boo boo so now Leaf's confused). Love the side weave, really grand! And the one where Shea jumps, actually love them all!:D(y)

LOL Leaf came racing in when she heard you say "Good Boy" and looked for me to give her a treat!!!!!!!!

MaryK

Honored Member
Just had an impromptu session with Leaf. Went well, but I will have to wear my bait bag, as having the treats up high makes Leaf swing out and either sit in front of me, or head towards where the treats are kept. I didn't treat until she came to my side. But she's getting it now, thanks a lot. She'll do a lot better with me wearing the bait bag though as I'll keep it on my side.

MaryK

Honored Member
Easy to remember, side dog is one leg goes back! Leaf is sooooooooooo relieved Mom's finally 'got it'!:cool:

teach333

So you just taught the swing and sway cues for this trick?

In the what he already knows part I had a hard time figuring out how you could be walking backwards while Shea was weaving forwards :cool:. I also loved the one where he stands up on either side of you.
I did teach swing and sway just for this challenge. Seamus knows similar moves. He backs around me in a circle from heel position, which I call scoot, and I briefly considered using that word because at least on one side the movement begins the same, but I use scoot a lot in routines, and I did not want to confuse him. (I have never asked him to do that around one leg, though, as you mentioned. I am going to have to try that!) He also knows something I call a slide. He is in front facing me but does a half turn and goes through my legs backwards. I am sure other people have different terms for it. That too is a similar motion to the backwards weaves, so in that way, we were not starting from scratch. I had thought about teaching backwards weaves before, but it is so awkward for me that I dropped the idea for other things.

This is how I do the walking backwards as Shea weaves forwards. He starts in front position facing me but more to my left leg than center. I put my left foot back and ask for the weave. As he come through from the left angle, he comes around my right leg. At that point, I put back my right foot, and he comes through and around the left. Then I just repeat. I hope that makes some sense.

MaryK

Honored Member
Fabulous work!:)(y) Love all the tricks and you've given me an idea for another weave - the last trick that's something different.:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Leaf's video. On time too I think:) Her figure 8 weave and forward walk are usually much faster but the poor girl had to cope with a man on the roof of the house in front, along with big boy builder's tools going full pelt and, icing on the cake, kid next door screaming as if the Banshee herself was coming after him!

All good training though, she'll be Queen of Working with Distractions if this keeps up.

Couldn't re shoot when it was quieter, as the light was fast fading. The building racket didn't stop until around 9.pm anyway.

running_dog

Honored Member
LOL Zac's a little more polite, waiting nicely and just pointing to your hand. Leaf will paw/jump/mug me for a treat, she is that food orientated. I try sometimes to lure just using my hand, rather than having a treat in my hand (which has to be held very securely otherwise she will stop whatever we're doing and give my hand a good swipe to knock the treat out of it). Just using my hand works, provided it stinks of treats:rolleyes:
Zac is very used to luring, he picked up hand targeting along the way so he knows the idea is to do an action to earn the treat not bully me into giving it to him... but you're right he's never been all that food obsessed so it is more in his nature than any training in manners.

running_dog

Honored Member
This is how I do the walking backwards as Shea weaves forwards. He starts in front position facing me but more to my left leg than center. I put my left foot back and ask for the weave. As he come through from the left angle, he comes around my right leg. At that point, I put back my right foot, and he comes through and around the left. Then I just repeat. I hope that makes some sense.
I think it makes sense but I won't know for sure until I try it :LOL:
Thanks ever so much for the explanation, I'll have to settle Zac with the current things he is learning but that is one I want to come back to.

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm late :(
Here's is where Zac and Gus are at now, I've obviously put a lot more time in with Zac than Gus. The lateral leg weave seems really easy for Zac to comprehend, I think it is because it feels like peekaboo to him and he loves peekaboo.

running_dog

Honored Member
Easy to remember, side dog is one leg goes back! Leaf is sooooooooooo relieved Mom's finally 'got it'!:cool:
I thought it was the other side leg but I can't visualise it without a dog beside me... I'll have to go and watch a video to remember for sure. I think you might have just invented a new variation (y).
I used to get in a total mess trying to do reverse weave. It took ages before I could feel what was right - and we still manage to get in muddles occasionally :LOL:

running_dog

Honored Member
Leaf's video. On time too I think:) Her figure 8 weave and forward walk are usually much faster but the poor girl had to cope with a man on the roof of the house in front, along with big boy builder's tools going full pelt and, icing on the cake, kid next door screaming as if the Banshee herself was coming after him!
Well done Leaf for surmounting the odds, demonstrating your existing weave, learning the new trick, mobilising the staff and getting your submission in (y):LOL: .
The luring in reverse is really working and the bow is magnificent :)

MaryK

Honored Member
I thought it was the other side leg but I can't visualise it without a dog beside me... I'll have to go and watch a video to remember for sure. I think you might have just invented a new variation (y).
I used to get in a total mess trying to do reverse weave. It took ages before I could feel what was right - and we still manage to get in muddles occasionally :LOL:
LOL well I'm always in a muddle with reverse (except for dance moves) so I may be wrong or,as you say, just invented a new trick:cool: ! In the vid I almost confused Leaf by going forward instead of back:confused: Be lovely to be as smart as my dog!!!!!!!!!:LOL:

MaryK

Honored Member
Well done Leaf for surmounting the odds, demonstrating your existing weave, learning the new trick, mobilising the staff and getting your submission in (y):LOL: .
The luring in reverse is really working and the bow is magnificent :)
Thank you, Leaf's focus really is a strong feature, the Vet Nurse noticed it tonight and commented on it.

She's improved since the vid with her reverse weave. Thank you her bow is her default trick, or LOL letting me know she's had enough of doing a particular trick!

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm late :(
Here's is where Zac and Gus are at now, I've obviously put a lot more time in with Zac than Gus. The lateral leg weave seems really easy for Zac to comprehend, I think it is because it feels like peekaboo to him and he loves peekaboo.
Fabulous work Zac and Gus!:)(y) Love the easy way Zac does all his moves and Gus is really fast with his figure of 8.(y)(y):D

MaryK

Honored Member
Zac is very used to luring, he picked up hand targeting along the way so he knows the idea is to do an action to earn the treat not bully me into giving it to him... but you're right he's never been all that food obsessed so it is more in his nature than any training in manners.
Leaf knows hand target but.........she still wants that treat. I'm 'weaning' her off having treats all the time for tricks she knows really well. And also trying to just hand lure/target without a treat and rewarding when she does the trick, or part of a new trick. LOL sometimes it works and other times she goes on strike for more pay!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I would like Leaf to be a little less food obsessed, but she is, so I have to work with that. May stem from her very young puppy life, abusive background, not fed well etc.