Trick Challenge: Leg Weave And Variations

running_dog

Honored Member
This challenge is slightly different to what I planned but it looked like it might be fun... and hopefully we can all access it at some level.

How many different variations of leg weave can you teach your dog, there are some ideas here:

If your dog does not know leg weave then here is a video on how to train it (and some suggestions of variations):

If your dog does not know reverse leg weave then here is a video on how to train that:
Sorry I couldn't find a full video showing all the stages for this method. I didn't use this method for either Zac or Gus (both of whom are part way through learning). I used treats in both hands and lured backwards, the position of your hands controls where the dog reverses.

We are starting with a deadline of 2 weeks to train this trick and see how many ideas we can come up with. If you can please submit a video on or before Monday the 19th May. Your video/s should include:

1. The variations of leg weave that your dog already knows OR part of your first training session if your dog is learning leg weave or reverse leg weave for the first time.
2. The new variations of leg weave that your dog has learned.

If you know you won't be able to submit a video for whatever reason do please still train along with us... the more of us join in the more fun it is and the more we can learn from each other and our dogs.

Any questions/suggestions/ideas/hints about this challenge please post them in this thread, ideas for other challenges please post them in "Who Is Interested In A Trick Challenge".

southerngirl

Honored Member
I will be teaching Backwards weave with Missy since this is something I've already worked on teaching to her.
Piper figure eights. I need to work on some simple back up tricks with her first before I try something as challenging as weaving backwards.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
River knows many of these, but maybe now we will go back to the crawling weave. I also need to work a lot on his 'Warm up' routine for a Demo we are going to be doing.

running_dog

Honored Member
I will be teaching Backwards weave with Missy since this is something I've already worked on teaching to her.
Piper figure eights. I need to work on some simple back up tricks with her first before I try something as challenging as weaving backwards.
That's great :cool:

running_dog

Honored Member
So... After like one minuet Piper understands how to do the trick. Now I just need to add a voice cue so she knows to do it and not "stand tall". Yes, she was switching between figure 8 and stand tall.:giggle:
Well done you and Piper

I'd forgotten I had that problem with Zac yesterday morning too - because we've done stand tall a lot recently and figure eights not at all!

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm working on both. :) I'll post a video either tonight or tomorrow. I'm a bit behind on things because of finals and that's why I haven't posted a video. Just nine more days and schools over.
I'm sorry Southerngirl, I wasn't meaning to nag, we have another week I think, it is just a bit quiet on this thread (only 3 of us joining in, surely everyone can't have trained all the possible variations?) so I wondered whether there was a problem. I've videoed a training session with Zac which is mostly weaving and am hoping to upload it later on tonight as a work in progress, it is funny what dogs find easy and what they find hard :rolleyes:.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I'm sorry Southerngirl, I wasn't meaning to nag, we have another week I think, it is just a bit quiet on this thread (only 3 of us joining in, surely everyone can't have trained all the possible variations?) so I wondered whether there was a problem. I've videoed a training session with Zac which is mostly weaving and am hoping to upload it later on tonight as a work in progress, it is funny what dogs find easy and what they find hard :rolleyes:.
No, your fine. I understand it's been quiet on this thread. Hopefully you commenting on it will remind everyone to keep working on it or to join in.:)
Yes, some tricks you think "hey soso will find this trick really easy" but to your surprise they struggle on it. But when it comes to a trick that may seem hard they catch on quickly.

running_dog

Honored Member
This is a video of a training session with Zac, it is the whole session (though there are breaks in the video because my camera doesn't like long clips), I thought it was interesting to see how he progresses through the few minutes we spent and how he's getting on with some of the weave variations.

The corridor was a bit narrow to lure him back round effectively. He already knows forward leg weave, forward figure eights and can usually do reverse leg weave as long as I don't fall over him. I don't know whether he's too big, or I have a rotten sense of balance, or it is just our timing is off. I suspect it is our timing - I need to take a step when he has cleared my leg so I don't have to step over him all the time. I don't think I've done reverse figure eight as such before but I've done quite a bit with him backing round my leg/s recently. There's a bit of crawling practice thrown in too.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
I'll be honest, I haven't started yet. I have been focusing on training the new pup with all the basics/ major socialization and prepare him to be a PetSmart Demo dog/ Therapy Dog/ Service dog. Then River is busy learning his exercise/ warm up routine and is going to be doing a trick Demo and I just found out the person that did canine freestyle can't make it so we will be doing two trick demos. So we are very busy. I think I might sit this one out until after May 19th. Then we might work on it after our event.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
This is a video of a training session with Zac, it is the whole session (though there are breaks in the video because my camera doesn't like long clips), I thought it was interesting to see how he progresses through the few minutes we spent and how he's getting on with some of the weave variations.

The corridor was a bit narrow to lure him back round effectively. He already knows forward leg weave, forward figure eights and can usually do reverse leg weave as long as I don't fall over him. I don't know whether he's too big, or I have a rotten sense of balance, or it is just our timing is off. I suspect it is our timing - I need to take a step when he has cleared my leg so I don't have to step over him all the time. I don't think I've done reverse figure eight as such before but I've done quite a bit with him backing round my leg/s recently. There's a bit of crawling practice thrown in too.
That is awesome!

MaryK

Honored Member
We're in! We've only been quiet because we just couldn't get through to any sites due to the total mess up with our ISP:mad::mad::mad: If we stay at the speed I'm on tonight hopefully that means all is well again!

Leaf can do figure 8 and walking weave, so thank you for the video on variations. We'll start working on them tomorrow (bit late now Ms. Leaf is having her beauty sleep while Mom stays up catching up).

Sunday (only day I can get a video made) is going to be a bit busy but will try hard to get it done and posted.

MaryK

Honored Member

Great work!!!!!!!!!!! Have only managed to watch around half the video, it's stuck on buffering. PLEASE computer Gods, say it isn't my ISP again!!!!!!!!!!

Will try to watch the backward weave video. That's what I'd like to teach Leaf but do not know where to start with that trick.

MaryK

Honored Member
Well maybe tomorrow - got the error message:mad: But we're aiming at learning the reverse weave! Any chance someone can explain how to do it? Just in case I can't get up videos.