Trick Challenge: Hide Your Eyes

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Well done for getting this far (y)

I don't think it matters at this stage that she needs to lie down. If you get her to the stage where she will do the trick on cue without the tape then start worrying about other positions. At that stage you should hopefully be able to start to use her laziness against her - instead of rewarding her in place chuck the treat across the room so she has to go and get it. After a while most dogs get the idea that it is less effort to stay standing up than to lie down and stand up again... at the very least I think she'd start to do shame in a bow position and that would be very cute :)
Thank you! That makes me feel a lot more positive! And it would be very cute if I could get her to do it in a bow position!!! Hope you get on with Zac and he starts to get it! :)

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Just checked the other ways, my bad forgot you also posted alternative ways!

Will try again and see if an alternative method works. I'm thinking Anneke's way just may work as Leaf will give her paw to me very easily and also targets with her paws. So maybe a combination of asking for her paw, then using the target stick under her nose will work. I could use treats, but she'll mug me which may make it a bit difficult to get her nose UNDER her paw. She a bit too food orientated at times:rolleyes:
I hope this way will make you have a break through with Leaf!

MaryK

Honored Member
We took a day off from training today, as we were out all day. Am going to try again tomorrow. All fingers crossed!
Bought her yet another new toy, maybe that as a 'reward' will help??;)

MaryK

Honored Member
Break Through!!!!!!!!!(y):D Today I used Anneke's method of asking for her paw and, WITHOUT FOOD AS A LURE she looked under her paw! Cannot believe she actually did it without food but she did! All I did was hold my other hand down, and voila, she looked to see why. A bit like 'say your prayers'.

Interesting though was the fact that she will do it with both paws, individually of course. She's normally a right pawed dog but.......she'll do it for either paw though is better with the left.

Could she be ambidexterous?

Now all I have to do is get her to do it without my holding her paw. At present she's resting heavily on my hand. Am trying to use just the finger (as I did with limp) and it's not going too bad! Yeah, may yet have a dog who will do 'shy':D

running_dog

Honored Member
Break Through!!!!!!!!!(y):D Today I used Anneke's method of asking for her paw and, WITHOUT FOOD AS A LURE she looked under her paw! Cannot believe she actually did it without food but she did! All I did was hold my other hand down, and voila, she looked to see why. A bit like 'say your prayers'.

Well done you both (y)

I'm doing something similar with Zac.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member

Interesting though was the fact that she will do it with both paws, individually of course. She's normally a right pawed dog but.......she'll do it for either paw though is better with the left.

Could she be ambidexterous?

Now all I have to do is get her to do it without my holding her paw. At present she's resting heavily on my hand. Am trying to use just the finger (as I did with limp) and it's not going too bad! Yeah, may yet have a dog who will do 'shy':D
Well done for the breakthrough!!!

MaryK

Honored Member
Trying all different ways to get him to understand it is his head going down not him looking at my hand that is important :rolleyes:
LOL Oh dear, maybe Zac is into Palm Reading:whistle: Roll up Roll up let Gypsy Zac read your palms.;)

Seriously, perhaps try using your open hand under your arm. Or a favorite toy. Does your hand 'smell' of interesting doggy treats? He may think his reward is in your hands.

running_dog

Honored Member
Seriously, perhaps try using your open hand under your arm. Or a favorite toy. Does your hand 'smell' of interesting doggy treats? He may think his reward is in your hands.

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think it is like that, I'll try to get round to videoing him to show you :)

MaryK

Honored Member
We may be a bit late as Zeus isn't well. See my post in off topic Zeus' Health. Leaf's still doing well, albeit I'm a bit behind with her training this week been a worrying time, but still needs 'support'. I'm hoping she'll do the same as she did with limp, need support for a while then suddenly 'get it'. That's her usual modus operandi:D

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm sorry I'm not going to post a video of Zac today (and no he can't do the trick yet). I hope to film and post an in progress report tomorrow.

running_dog

Honored Member
Finally I videoed our work in progress video (or maybe it should be our work not in progress)
I'm currently trying to click Zac for non contact of his leg on my hand. Hope fully this will get him away from the idea his paw should relax and rest on my arm.

Although I am no longer giving a treat from my hand he won't seem to look down without my hand being there so it is very difficult to fade. I might have to train target stick for this.

ellieh

For Zac, at 0.26 seconds i would click that and keep rewarding for anything he offers you that is similar, raise the criteria slowly. He so nearly did it then all on his own.

I am not listening to this with any sound, the clicks send all my dogs into a frenzy they think it is work time!! So you may have clicked at that point or cued it, but i can't hear so apologies if you are.

running_dog

Honored Member
For Zac, at 0.26 seconds i would click that and keep rewarding for anything he offers you that is similar, raise the criteria slowly. He so nearly did it then all on his own.

I am not listening to this with any sound, the clicks send all my dogs into a frenzy they think it is work time!! So you may have clicked at that point or cued it, but i can't hear so apologies if you are.

Thanks, you made me look at the video again and see what you are seeing :). I clicked at about 0.27 seconds (me being slow). But after what you said I saw a number of times when I was using the hand target/lure where I could have just tried shaping, instead I was trying to mark the raised paw with "yes" then present the hand target and click. I got a bit muddled at times though :rolleyes:.

He almost always turns his head away as he lowers it. I don't know whether to click this or not.

I know what you mean about not being able to watch with sound!