Trick Challenge: Hide Your Eyes

running_dog

Honored Member
For this challenge we are focussing on training shy/hide your eyes with a couple of different options...

Option 1) This is a video showing one way of training your dog the hide your eyes trick. There are also a lot of other ideas for training this trick discussed in the thread "teach your dog to cover their eyes".

Option 2) If your dog already knows how to hide it's eyes try teaching/proofing the trick so your dog can hide it's eyes in different positions eg/ down, sit, stand, and sit pretty.

Option 3) I can't find a video of how to train this variation but I'd like to see a dog hiding it's eyes with both paws at once. One method might be by teaching an "other paw shy" and then cueing both paws together however I'm sure you could come up with other methods too - and a how to video for the rest of us mere mortals would be really cool :LOL:.

I know this trick can be challenging for some dogs so the deadline is the 9th of June for at least a progress report and we'll extend the deadline if we need to. If you can please submit a video on or before Monday the 9th June. If you prefer you can submit each stage separately. Your video/s should include:

1. What your dog already knows (if you are training option 2 or 3)
2. Part of your first training session.
3. The final trick repeated 3 times in the same clip.

Obviously if your dog gets the idea really quickly there is nothing to stop you training on to the next Challenge option...

Even if you know you won't be able to submit a video for whatever reason do please still train along with us... the more of us join in the more fun it is and the more we can learn from each other and our dogs.

Any questions/suggestions/ideas/hints about this challenge please post them in this thread, ideas for other challenges please post them in "Who Is Interested In A Trick Challenge".

running_dog

Honored Member
Sorry I've been late posting this challenge, I've been very busy.

I'm hoping to shape this trick from the work I did on limp with Zac, although I won't train front leg limp now he still keeps offering me a lifted paw and so I might as well try to use it :).

If I attempt this with Gus I'll probably put something like tape on his nose, he is a very paw swiping dog so that method would probably work with him.

running_dog

Honored Member
I will join with both dogs. I'm so sorry for not having posted videos on the last two challenges I've been really busy with school, but I will be getting them up soon... I hope.
It'll be great to have you more active as we go along but I wasn't expecting you to be able to post until school quietened down, just post when you can :)

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm hoping to shape this trick from the work I did on limp with Zac, although I won't train front leg limp now he still keeps offering me a lifted paw and so I might as well try to use it :).
I experimented with how I might start training this, Zac lifts his paw and then I reward him under his leg (like with training "say your prayers"), I didn't use a clicker yet, I think he might get the idea quite quickly with the clicker... here's hoping anyway :)

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm in on this trick! It's the one trick Ra Kismet never managed to 'get'. Hopefully Leaf will be able too. I've been slack teaching her, due to total lack of success with Rakins.

Will try to post progress vids. but have to reply on semi-tame partner, not an easy feat, dog training is MUCH easier!

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm in on this trick! It's the one trick Ra Kismet never managed to 'get'. Hopefully Leaf will be able too. I've been slack teaching her, due to total lack of success with Rakins.

Will try to post progress vids. but have to reply on semi-tame partner, not an easy feat, dog training is MUCH easier!
Looking forward to seeing how you get on :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Am starting tomorrow. Late start due to drinking tap water here, ended up with gastro on steroids - death by thirst would have been a much better option. Also, hunting for duct tape, hope it's not in the car boot!

MaryK

Honored Member
Well at first I thought Oh No Deja Vu!!!!!!!!! Put the duct tape on Leaf's nose and she just sat there motionless, nothing happened at all! After some very long minutes spent gazing at each other, I tried again and 'showed' her what I wanted by swiping my hand over my nose! She did then attempt to remove the duct tape, giving the start of 'hide' of course, so was duly rewarded and I heaved a sigh of relief.

However, second attempt = OMD!!!!!!!!!! She sat there with a quizzical look on her face "Hey Mom, I've taken the darned thing off once why are you putting it back again? Really! This time YOU can remove it - you put it on me in the first place and honestly it's just NOT a good fashion accessory! I do NOT like the look!".

Tried again, she gave me a beautiful Bow, her default or I wanna end this trick now cue, complete with blue duct tape still adhered to her nose! After training on different tricks, to break up the apparent stalemate I went once more into the fray etc. This time she just plain wandered off to try to get Maeve (one of my cats) to play with her = still with blue duct tape adorning her nose!:whistle: And this is a first, Leaf's totally focused normally when training!

Rinse and repeat from second attempt down and you get the picture!

HELP!!!!!!!!! Am I doomed to never have a dog who will do Hide Your Eyes!:eek:

bekah1001

Honored Member
Well at first I thought Oh No Deja Vu!!!!!!!!! Put the duct tape on Leaf's nose and she just sat there motionless, nothing happened at all! After some very long minutes spent gazing at each other, I tried again and 'showed' her what I wanted by swiping my hand over my nose! She did then attempt to remove the duct tape, giving the start of 'hide' of course, so was duly rewarded and I heaved a sigh of relief.

However, second attempt = OMD!!!!!!!!!! She sat there with a quizzical look on her face "Hey Mom, I've taken the darned thing off once why are you putting it back again? Really! This time YOU can remove it - you put it on me in the first place and honestly it's just NOT a good fashion accessory! I do NOT like the look!".

Tried again, she gave me a beautiful Bow, her default or I wanna end this trick now cue, complete with blue duct tape still adhered to her nose! After training on different tricks, to break up the apparent stalemate I went once more into the fray etc. This time she just plain wandered off to try to get Maeve (one of my cats) to play with her = still with blue duct tape adorning her nose!:whistle: And this is a first, Leaf's totally focused normally when training!

I have to reteach Brody hide your eyes. When I initially taught him when he ignored the tape on his face I would gently blow on it to agitate it. You can also try putting a string or something thicker across her nose and see if that will work.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member

Ripley wants to get the tape off her nose but this seems to mean a default lie down and the swipe the tape off for some reason..! So now I have a dog that will hide her eyes when lying down but not when sitting or standing... I need help too!

running_dog

Honored Member
Have you checked out the link I posted in the first post for other ways to train this trick? There might be something on there that would help. I think someone suggested using a slack scrunchy.

I'm trying to shape this one with a bit of luring so I've not tried the tape idea. Zac is quite motivated but hasn't a clue what I want. I'm obviously not marking the right things so I'll have to think it through again.

running_dog

Honored Member
Ripley wants to get the tape off her nose but this seems to mean a default lie down and the swipe the tape off for some reason..! So now I have a dog that will hide her eyes when lying down but not when sitting or standing... I need help too!
Well done for getting this far (y)

I don't think it matters at this stage that she needs to lie down. If you get her to the stage where she will do the trick on cue without the tape then start worrying about other positions. At that stage you should hopefully be able to start to use her laziness against her - instead of rewarding her in place chuck the treat across the room so she has to go and get it. After a while most dogs get the idea that it is less effort to stay standing up than to lie down and stand up again... at the very least I think she'd start to do shame in a bow position and that would be very cute :)

MaryK

Honored Member
I have to reteach Brody hide your eyes. When I initially taught him when he ignored the tape on his face I would gently blow on it to agitate it. You can also try putting a string or something thicker across her nose and see if that will work.
Thank you:) I'll try that and report on progress!

MaryK

Honored Member
Ripley is further ahead than Leaf, at least she's doing the trick lying down! Sorry cannot help, I'm having problems too:(

MaryK

Honored Member
Have you checked out the link I posted in the first post for other ways to train this trick? There might be something on there that would help. I think someone suggested using a slack scrunchy.

I'm trying to shape this one with a bit of luring so I've not tried the tape idea. Zac is quite motivated but hasn't a clue what I want. I'm obviously not marking the right things so I'll have to think it through again.
Just checked the other ways, my bad forgot you also posted alternative ways!

Will try again and see if an alternative method works. I'm thinking Anneke's way just may work as Leaf will give her paw to me very easily and also targets with her paws. So maybe a combination of asking for her paw, then using the target stick under her nose will work. I could use treats, but she'll mug me which may make it a bit difficult to get her nose UNDER her paw. She a bit too food orientated at times:rolleyes:

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member

I had forgotten to look back at the link again! Thank you, Running_dog.