Trick Challenge: Do As I Do

kassidybc

Experienced Member
May
Absolutely LOVED the video!!!!!!!!:LOL: Chloe is really doing seriously well!!!!!!!! She's one very smart cookie that's for sure. And she made me laugh, believe me I need a laugh at present! Love the sit pretty before each trick! Great work!
Maybe she just REALLY gets it, and she thinks that me standing equals sit pretty, and so she has to sit pretty before every trick. ;)

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm now pretty sure it is boredom causing Zac's sudden obtuseness... I haven't had time to train much recently so hopefully he'll be keen when we get back to "Do as I do".
I'd say you're onto something there Running Dog. Yesterday Leaf and I did, 'take the hoops off the stand and replace them" - (any ideas for a shorter cue would be appreciated) a trick she knows well and does with ease. However, I must have 'over done' it as Madam Diva Leaf turned her head aside and just refused to do it again! She can be very stubborn, obtuse etc. if I attempt a trick too many times in a row. LOL takes after me I think, I hate too much repetition!:rolleyes::whistle:

MaryK

Honored Member
Finally got Leaf's video done, sorry for the poor quality, had to shoot inside again.

Leaf more 'mirrors' doesn't wait for me to do the trick but does it with me.

Also, anyone know why it took You Tube 468 minutes to upload one short video?

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you Kassidy:D She's learned another one. I was teaching her 'hold' today and found that yes she'd 'hold' something for like a nano-seconds, click treat, and Ms. Smarty Pants thought 'hum, just gotta hold/drop this and I get a treat". Not quite what I had in mind - she 'forgot' the hold part:rolleyes:

So I held the object in my mouth, saying 'hold' placing in my mouth (never mind the ghastly taste all in a good cause) and sat there like a total prat with a rubber flat thing in my mouth!:whistle: But it worked!!!!!!!!!!!! Gave it back to Leafy and she actually held......and held.......and held! So proud of the kid!

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I really need to start working on this. You guys are all doing so great! :) I've been super busy with vacations, and camps, and drivers training, and fairs, so I haven't had much time to work on any tricks lately.

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm back :)
Sorry I've been letting the trick challenges slide for a while.
All being well I'll be posting a new challenge on Saturday or Monday...
I will try to film and post a update video for "Do as I do" before then... :eek:

MaryK

Honored Member
Leaf's anxiously awaiting her new challenge.:) I'm thinking of trying to train her on the beach. She's a totally awesome dog on the beach manners wise, and I feel it will help her to train a little with 'distractions' especially as she has a chance to first run off all her high octane energy - those pesky seagulls!:rolleyes:

What is your opinion Running Dog?

running_dog

Honored Member
Leaf's anxiously awaiting her new challenge.:) I'm thinking of trying to train her on the beach. She's a totally awesome dog on the beach manners wise, and I feel it will help her to train a little with 'distractions' especially as she has a chance to first run off all her high octane energy - those pesky seagulls!:rolleyes:

What is your opinion Running Dog?
Sorry Leaf, I fell asleep early!

Great thing to do but keep it fun... I think you might call her to you ask for a trick then reward and release. I take most new tricks out on our walks on the first or second day of learning. I think that with your relationship with Leaf you should soon be able to build up to doing lots of tricks before the release. I don't know if you use "Look at That" but if not I have found it an excellent "trick" for reducing Zac's intention to run off after distractions.

If you are going to train "Do as I do" in public just be aware that passers by will think you are a lunatic... especially as at first Leaf (like Zac) will probably pretend she has no idea what you are doing :LOL: .

MaryK

Honored Member
WOL(woof out loud) I forgive you Aunty Running Dog:LOL:

Yes, I always keep learning fun with Leafy. That's a good suggestion, she will do 'sit pretty' in public and often does it when I call her to reward her. Will use the call her trick then release when learning new tricks in public. Great suggestion, that way she'll still have her fun run - those seagulls of course - plus plays with her friends and other dogs she meets.

Leaf and I do have a wonderful relationship, she's such a lovely dog and so easy to train. Though LOL she'll let me know if she's bored with a trick, which is fair enough I feel. But I think there is mutual love, trust and respect between us as I always make sure if something, like traffic, does scare her I've got her back.

I don't use 'look at that' will try it with her and see how we go. She does have wonderful recall on the beach. The only time she will hesitate, or even come right back, is when people want to pat her or another dog comes up to invite her to play. LOL I've had to apologize to people for calling her back when they want to pat her!

LOL yes, will look like a total lunatic with the 'do as I do' method and of course Leaf will make sure she pretends she's no idea what I'm doing:rolleyes: Even though the little tinker isn't silly, she did that to me the other day when I wanted her to wave good bye, I did the wave and Leaf, who will normally do the same, just sat there with a 'vacant/surprised' expression on her face. :oops::rolleyes:O_o