Trick Challenge: Crawl

running_dog

Honored Member
For this challenge we are focussing on crawl with a few different training options.

Option 1) This is a video showing one way of training your dog to crawl forwards:

Option 2) If your dog already knows how to crawl forwards here is a video showing how to teach it to crawl backwards:

Option 3) And yes I hear you... your dog already knows how to crawl backwards and forwards... well there is something for you too... teach your dog a chain or combination of a minimum of three tricks including crawl - a chain might be a variation of bang where you use limp, crawl and bang to have your dog acting out a slow death, a combination might be a crawling leg weave while carrying an object.

We are starting with a deadline of 2 weeks to train this trick, but we'll extend it if we need to. If you can please submit a video on or before Monday the 5th May. If you prefer you can submit each stage separately. Your video/s should include:

1. Part of your first training session.
2. The final trick repeated 3 times in the same clip.
3. If you are training backwards crawl or the trick chain/combination you should also show us a clip of what your dog knows to begin with - forwards crawl, elements of combination etc.

Obviously if your dog gets the idea really quickly there is nothing to stop you training on to the next Challenge option...

If you know you won't be able to submit a video for whatever reason do please still train along with us... the more of us join in the more fun it is and the more we can learn from each other and our dogs.

Any questions/suggestions/ideas/hints about this challenge please post them in this thread, ideas for other challenges please post them in "Who Is Interested In A Trick Challenge".

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Are you going to shape this one, running_dog?

I started this with Brody ages ago, but we didn't finish and I haven't worked on it for at least 6 months. With luring, I think he could learn the forward very quickly, so we'll aim for both forward and backward in 2 weeks.

running_dog

Honored Member
Are you going to shape this one, running_dog?

I started this with Brody ages ago, but we didn't finish and I haven't worked on it for at least 6 months. With luring, I think he could learn the forward very quickly, so we'll aim for both forward and backward in 2 weeks.
I'm going to use mostly luring for this one because with shaping I think he'll get his mind set on cross paws and then get frustrated when I don't reward him. There is a kikopup video showing how to free shape crawl under an object if you want to try that.

I gave the options like that so we can train as far as we can in the time, forwards and backwards crawl are sufficiently different to each other that the dogs shouldn't get confused by training them at about the same time.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I'm going to use mostly luring for this one because with shaping I think he'll get his mind set on cross paws and then get frustrated when I don't reward him. There is a kikopup video showing how to free shape crawl under an object if you want to try that.

I gave the options like that so we can train as far as we can in the time, forwards and backwards crawl are sufficiently different to each other that the dogs shouldn't get confused by training them at about the same time.
Actually started with free shaping this morning, but all I could get was limp or roll over! I decided to pull out the piano bench and got some good crawling action. Oh, and my daughter has borrowed a camera for a food blog she is writing, so I was able to catch our session today on video! Yay! Hopefully I can figure out how to edit it!

running_dog

Honored Member
I think I may be using a chair for this one and increase its height from the ground each time she passes under it . I know it's not the traditional way to do it but when I got something in my mind I MUST do it . Btw hello everyone... again :p
Welcome to the challenge :cool:

Your method sounds a bit like what kikopup does in her video (see link in 3rd post of this thread), you might find it useful to check that out. I train my own way too a lot of the time - that's one of the reasons the challenges are fun, especially if people can share video/descriptions of how they train.