Travel Sickness

elissa

Chewie gets horrible travel sickness... She can usually go about 10 minutes in a car before she's sick. Even if I restrict food before a journey (as I did this morning with a very early trip to get her doggy passport sorted out!) she is still sick multiple times during the journey and even dry heaves when she has nothing left to come out.

I feel so terrible for her... I do't think it helps that we live in quite a mountainous area so the air pressure fluctuates as we drive.

I'm really concerned about how she's going to handle our forthcoming move to Spain. We'll be travelling for about 8-9 hours start to finish, including 2 flights.

I've had a look online at herbal travel sickness pills, I was wondering if anyone here has used them and if they can recommend any? Or is it best to go to the vets and get her something stronger?

running_dog

Honored Member
Do you know if it is motion sickness or fear?

Gus was very travel sick but it was fear related - because he was taken from his mum and then soon afterwards travelled in a car for a several hours in a rattling crate. My mum used to go and sit in the stationery car to eat her breakfast every morning so that he got used to the car as a friendly place to be.

elissa

I'm pretty sure it's motion sickness; she's sat on my lap, she gets plenty of fuss and her demeanor doesn't change. Also the sickness usually starts at around the same places... Where the roads twist and turn a lot and the air pressure changes.

running_dog

Honored Member
Poor little Chewie, I don't know about herbal remedies, I guess that MaryK might so hopefully she or someone else in the know will drop in soon.

southerngirl

Honored Member
One thing that helped my dog was to have her in the front and roll the windows down. Dogster bought a thundershirt for Shivon and that helped her a lot.

elissa

Ooooh I'd never heard of them before! Just had a look on Amazon.... do you think they're safe for flying? Just a little worried about the pressure aspect... :/

southerngirl

Honored Member
I'm sure they would be fine for flying. Though they don't work for every dog so you'll want to test it out first and if it doesn't work return it.

summerkat

Leia gets motion sickness I was doing the leave window open with her looking out. Now I am aware that no travel for at least 4hrs after food, face forward while you travel instead of the side windows, balance the air pressure in the car by having windows down a couple of inches, keep car well ventilated & cool, give dog a very small piece of sugary candy ( jellybean) reduces sensation of nausea.

Or over the counter medications >
1. Anti-nausea drugs
2 Phenothiazine> reduces vomiting & provides sedation
3 Antihistamines> lessens sickness, reduces drooling, offers sedation

That's all I am aware of that helps as Leia suffers from it.

elissa

My cousin is a vet and she recommended Cerenia... I don't think they'll let me sit up front with the window cracked on a plane lol!

Will try the other suggestions in the car with her though, see if it makes it any easier on her... She's still only 9 months old, so I'm hoping it's something she'll grow out of!