This Account Has Exceeded It's CPU Quota

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Please be advised,

If you are getting an error message "This Account has Exceeded it's CPU Quota" then it means my hosting account has too many users on it at once.

Unfortunately I cannot afford a dedicated server which costs $150 per month, and I am stuck using a shared hosting. My hosting does offer an upgrade which could help the situation, however it would be twice the current price.

This website is growing so fast that I will need to keep up with the demand - hopefully next year I could move it to a dedicated server. We shall see what my options are then, but for now I will contact my hosting and see how I can resolve this problem.

Please let me know if you get this message, and sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks

CollieMan

Experienced Member
That really doesn't seem right, Jean. I have always been on shared hosting packages for over twenty years and I've never once experienced this. What the message told me was that someone on the server is running a rogue script which is stealing an unfair amount of CPU time. It would be in your host's interest to learn who it is and to make them stop. That's the usual route.

You most certainly don't need a dedicated server, and I suspect that you won't for some years to come.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Well on a shared hosting, all ressources are limited. I can only use so much ressources and if it exceeds the maximum limit, my account is turned off until the processes are done.

Unfortunately most of my pages are in PHP, which are all created every time someone visits. This can take up some CPU power, a lot more than simple .html documents. And not to mention that everything is stored in a mysql database.

I'll try and see if I can do anything about optimizing my tables/scripts.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I am thinking that the problem might of been caused by Google and Yahoo spiders. They are notorious for sending 15 spiders at a time to crawl my site.

Either way, please let me know if this happens again, I will take further actions.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Some news in regards to the CPU error message:

Some news in regards to the CPU error message:

Unfortunately, this problem seems to be happening more frequently.

I have contacted my hosting provider and have done everything I could to limit the resources taken by each visiting user. The Academy is growing and we are getting more members each day, so soon I will need to upgrade my account.

The problem right now is that I cannot afford to upgrade the account; I will have to wait until spring or even the summer.

I apologize sincerely for the inconvenience; I understand how frustrating getting this message must be when you are writing a message or a blog. I also receive this message and there is nothing worse than getting locked out of your own website.

So for now, I ask that when you receive this message, to simply take a breather for two minutes, and to come back to the Academy.

Thank you,
Jean

l_l_a

hi Jean - no problem at all, but does this only happen if users are logged in, or does surfing the site as a guest also contribute to this problem?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
This happens when there are too many users on the site at once. When my account uses too many ressources my host provider automatically suspend my account for about 2 minutes and it locks everybody out (including myself).

I suspect that google/yahoo crawling bots play a significant role in this, as they often crawl a website using 10-15 spiders at the same time, thus creating a heavy load on the site.

Soon I will be upgrading my account, so no worries. :) I just wanted to let everybody know what is going on so that they don't get angry and leave.