Telling "OFF" a dog that jumps on you

drgnrdr

All of the material contained in this handout is copyrighted and cannot be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, copy by writing the information down or by any information storage and retrieval system, without written permission from Drgnrdr. If and/or when permission is given, any reproduction of this handout must contain the authors name and credit given to them. All Rights Reserved
Jean has permission if she'd like to make this a sticky or in a new area
Jumping: Why they jump? Attention/Greeting/Dominance?. Only pay attention to dog with butt on ground. They must sit for greeting. (must know "sit" cue to do this, don't ask your dog for a behavior he does not know)
When you come home, have some treats by the door or with you in the car for this exercise: if they jump on you say “OFF” and cue them to sit, give them a treat when they sit. If they do not.
Plan A: cross your arms and look up at the ceiling, if they still are up on you, turn away from them, this takes all attention away, they should stop jumping on you, if not go to..
Plan B: go back out door and come back in 10 seconds, try again. If they don’t sit, again try going back out for 15 seconds. Then 20 seconds then 30 seconds, 30 seconds is all we do, no more, dogs live in moment they’ll forget why you went out.
Plan C: if they jump on you after you've come into the house, go into a room, whichever is closest, and go in for 10 seconds, come back out and ask for sit, if they do not, do it again, until they comply.
If your dog really has a bad habit of this and they are too frantic and can't contain themselves (this is one sign of Separation Anxiety), The best way is: you can ignore your dog for the first 10 minutes that you come home, he’ll jump around and then calm down as time goes on, and you’ll be able to greet him if he learns to sit for hello, and you only say hello if he sits, and is calm. Always go behind a door if they want to jump on your back and won’t listen.
NOTE: Dogs who need to be let out to Potty when you've been gone a long time, please just go directly from where you come in to where you let them out, don't make them hold it longer while doing all the above, they may piddle on the floor trying to hold it, or piddle while you're behind a door. Just let them out, ignore them, don't say anything or touch them, that will reward the excitement, when they have gone potty, then try the above Plans.

Sit Politely for Petting; Family and Visitors: Most dogs are trying to get our attention just like they do to each other. Any attention you give your dog, gets them what they want, if you knee them or push them or yell at them it's attention, it's a negative type of attention but it's still attention. Besides, when we knee them it could cause damage, think of it this way: You teach your dog if someone wants them off they just knee them, a well placed forcefull knee into the solar plexus, okay now think, of if you want a stranger to do this, tell them, "just knee him he'll stop", are you going to trust that the stranger knows exactly how much force to use without causing internal damage to your dog?

Family: We must tell them "OFF", ( this means put your feet on the floor), cross your arms over your chest, look up to the ceiling if needed, when they get their feet back on the floor tell them to sit. If you have to use the hand signal, then use it to get your command across. Most of this jumping has become a habit and it will be hard to break, but, stick to it, and only say hello and pet them when they sit for it. If they sit for you, then praise them and treat them for it. If they still want to jump when you cross your arms, and they will not sit for you, then turn away from them and ignore them for a few seconds. Tell them to sit, if they don't, walk away. They must do what you ask before you give them what they want.
NO EXCEPTIONS: Every one must do this, starting with the oldest to youngest in the home, all family members. If one member doesn't it could set you back a few steps, don't allow them to touch your dog when they are excited..period!

Visitors: You can keep a bowl of dog biscuits at the door for guest to give your dog when they come over, every guest must understand that the dog gets nothing, not even a look if they are jumping on them and the dog is acting excited-NO EXCEPTIONS. If the dog doesn't obey you then your guest must not greet the dog, ignore the dog. From now on attention only comes if they sit, and are calm. Put a note on the front door:
"Dog is in training
Get a treat from bowl or (bag)
Do not look at or talk to dog
Look at me and I’ll explain”

Have a leash on the dog for control. Practice this with family and friends before your party.

*You can desensitize and counter condition them by having someone, the more the merrier, play the "guest" and you practice this way, before your visitors actually come over.

Remember Extinction Burst: Your dog already knows that he can demand your attention and he knows what works to get that to happen. As of today, it no longer works, but he doesn't know that yet. We all try harder at something we know works when it stops working.
Example: If I gave you a twenty dollar bill every time you clapped your hands together, you'd clap a lot. But, if I suddenly stopped handing you money, even though you were still clapping, you'd clap more and clap louder. You might even get closer to me to make sure I was noticing that you were clapping. You might even shout at me "Hey! I'm clapping like crazy over here, where's the money?". If I didn't respond at all, in any way, you'd stop. It wasn't working anymore. That last try -- that loud, frequent clapping is an extinction burst. If, however, during that extinction burst, I gave you another twenty dollar bill you'd be right back in it. It would take a lot longer to get you to stop clapping because you just learned that if you try hard enough, it will work.
When your dog learns that the behaviors that used to get him your attention don't work any more he's going to try harder and he's going to have an extinction burst. If you give him attention during that time you will have to work that much harder to get him turned around again. Telling him "no" or pushing him away is not the kind of attention he's after, but it's still attention. Completely ignoring him will work faster and better.
Read the leader/follower tips and get back control of your home, you pay the rent you might as well be the boss.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
LOL at the "Read the leader/follower tips and get back control of your home, you pay the rent you might as well be the boss." comment. :dogsmile:

Thank you for sharing yet another insightful article. You are the best!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Hi Dgrnrdr, thought I'd bring up a little mini-debate so to speak. As the article states, "We must tell them "OFF", ( this means put your feet on the floor), cross your arms over your chest, look up to the ceiling if needed, when they get their feet back on the floor tell them to sit. If you have to use the hand signal, then use it to get your command across."
I normally suggest using the hand signal, being as most people would agree that vocalization at all could be a form of attention. After they respond to the hand signal, I would praise them. I use off not as a means of "correcting" the dog for jumping, but as a cue to get off of anything. I teach my dogs to "hug" me, or to jump onto certain things, and for me 'off' is a general cue to return themselves to the ground from any object. I simply teach them that jumping as a greeting is never acceptable. I like these methods and have had success with them for years.

Again, I am not at all disagreeing with your article or saying that it does not work. =) I am simply asking your(and anyone else's) opinion as to the hand signal/vocal cue issue. I do know that either method works just fine, just wondering if there was any particular reason why you prefer the vocal cue, if there even is a reason other than that it is what you want the dog to do. Nice articles, Drgnrdr.

drgnrdr

tx-cowgirl: It's okay I welcome your comments.
Not everyone on here I assume, maybe I'm wrong, don't teach hand signals, alot of ppl who tell me the dog knows sit, they never taught a hand signal.
I use hand signals and verbal cues the dog learns this first. I say cross your arms and tell them sit, but you can't use a hand signal if your arms are crossed and some dogs are so squirmy they don't see a hand signal sometimes. I don't tell them to use a happy tone of sit, I teach lower tone and command type of sit. I am trying to make sure they don't inadvertantly touch the dog (ie..attention by accidental touch). I use Off for put feet on floor if they are on couch, off, on me, off, and turn a way this causes them to be off balance and feet no longer are on me they hit the floor when you say off at the same time, and praise is there when they sit. I want a sit to keep them under control better, just feet on floor is not enough when a habit has been built of excitement and attention given when they go crazy
I don''t teach jump on me at all until, they get that it's a cue to and only done when I invite it.

drgnrdr

Oh forgot to add I agree dogs respond more to hand signal it's a body language and something they can pick up better than vocal, since they tune us out alot of times due to us, TV, radio,and noise talk talk talk...

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Ah I see, thank you for your response. =) You're right, many people do not teach hand signals but rely on vocal commands alone.

drgnrdr

Are you okay? noticed you have "sick" on your mood? Alot of ppl are getting the stomache thing...yuck..Hope you feel better.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Ugh, yes I had...well, some kind of infection. They thought it was either mono or strep throat, but the tests proved negative...so, 3 days and counting of antibiotics and a couple of other meds later, I'm feeling muuuuch better but still on the road to recovery. =) Thank you very much for asking. ^^ Had a very sore and swollen throat, irritated sinuses, and all kinds of pains. Ugh. But now my throat is almost completely better and the nasty sinus mess is going away. :)

drgnrdr

Isn't modern medicine great, doctors have no ideal what's going on and we pay them to tell us absolutely nothing...
Glad your better...:)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol, indeed, wonderful. ^^ Funny to think that veterinarians tend to know what's going on with their mute patients better than doctors know what's going on with the ones who can voice their symptoms. Lol!