Teach Your Dog To Cover There Eyes!

Anneke

Honored Member
Great tutorial, Sara! Unfortunately I have two dogs, that just don't get this!:D
I have tried using a sticky shing, like you do, Cooper just rubbes his face on the floor...So does Jinx. Tried to use a rubber band, same thing...
So now I am trying it this way.
These vids are from a few months ago, but I haven't made any progress with Cooper.
I was teaching Jinx say your prayers, the other day and she did the shame thing:D, so I guess there is progress there:rolleyes:
Here is Cooper
And here is Jinx. The start is a little confusing for her, as I asked for the wrong paw. Cooper is a lefty, Jinx is righthanded.;)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
YAY someone filled in a challenge on the brand new "challenges" thread! (we used to have whole subwing for this, but, that is gone now) GREAT!!

I'd join in, but my dog already did this, we called it, "Are you shy?"

Wasn't easiest trick to find a way to teach it, but, eventually, i found a way to teach it, was TAPING a small post it note to his forehead. (just normal post it, got knocked off too easily, and was too interruptive to keep replacing it.).
I would like to know how to teach a prolonged holding of the paw over the eye, my dog always speeds up all tricks, so his "Are you shy?" is now a downward pawing over his eyes and face,
not a holding of paws over his eyes.

But maybe others who haven't yet taught this trick can join in, IT'S WAY MORE FUN if everyone is teaching same trick in same week, imo!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I always LOVE watching Cooper and Jinx! They are so different from each other!! Loved how Cooper sort was making up his mind if he wanted to keep playing this game or not...ha ha! looked like it there for a moment! hee hee!

CUTE VIDs! I have to praise my dog, for almsot every single correct move, or he zones out. Buddy is in it for the PRAISE even more than the treats. My dog might be conceited ego-maniac, not sure....ha ha If i ever DID get a video camera,
everyone would have to turn the sound down, to avoid getting nauseated at all the cooing Buddy gets for each correct move. If i *stop* praising him, though, he zones out on me.
:ROFLMAO:

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Nice videos Sara and Anneke!! Carmel already knows cover your eyes but I taught her the trick by using a sticky note and then by taping her nose.

(This is random- I have the same clicker as you Sara)

horsy

Anneke thanks for those videos! I may have to try that method. This trick seems so un-natural for Diesel, he has never pawed at his face in all the time I've had him. I tried with sticking post its to his head and he would just shake them off, no effort to lift a paw at all. So I tried a bit of sellotape on his muzzle, and after I chased him around the house and grabbed him to stick it on, he growled at me when I tried, he was not liking it AT ALL! I was thinking of using a target stick when he was lay down, putting it under his leg and moving it further under, but I will try your method too.

Sara your puppy is just so adorable it's almost painful lol :D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
someone else around here, slipped a stretchy coil band over dog's snout, and clicked as they pawed at it..not sure how they got the dog to paw his eyes, though.

sara

Staff member
I taught Scout, my deaf terrier to do this by putting a piece of tape right between her eyes, she wouldn't paw at one on her muzzle, but she certainly will with it between her eyes! LOL Then I put it to cue. Scout learned this trick, I put it on cue and I proofed it in one 20 min session. It was easy for her! LOL

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Does anyone have any tips on how i can get Buddy to HOLD his paw over his eyes for awhile? He only paws over his eyes, (and per Buddy's typical style, fairly quickly!:rolleyes: )
but won't hold it for a moment or so, which i think would be cuter.

sara

Staff member
With Scout, I just quit rewarding for paws, and waited for her to hold a little longer. She wont hold it for more than a few seconds, cuz being deaf, she needs to see to get her reward (and maybe, just maybe she'll get a treat for a quick one! in her mind anyway! LOL), so she'll keep lifting her head, and I either cue it again for a longer hold, or reward for the length I liked.

charmedwolf

Staff member
I think I just proved how tolerant my dogs are to me doing random things to them. I used the sticky tape and all I got was a look of "Really, mom? Really?" so I switched tactics to the hair scrunchy and Kratos walked off, Isis stared at me and Jinc laid down to sleep. :rolleyes:

Guess I going to have to try and shape this one or think of some other way.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
lolz, too funny cwolf! tooo funny!

I had to tape the post it note so it came into Buddy's visual field somewhat, to bother him a bit as he could see it dangling over his eyes a bit.. I had to tape the post-it on, or else he knocked it off with one swipe.

Dlilly

Honored Member
I've used tape, bubbly stickers, bubbly letters... Nothing is working. :( I have some giant rubber bands, maybe I could put one around her nose?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
To Dilly, maybe a cloth 'scrunchie' would be better than rubber band?
Or better yet, watch Anneke's video above,
in post #2
i WISH i had trained this cue the way Anneke did, as she will get a longer covering of the eyes, than i got with my dog. My dog just paws his eyes and face downwards, really, doesn't reeeeally hold his paw over his eyes.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
I've used tape, bubbly stickers, bubbly letters... Nothing is working. :( I have some giant rubber bands, maybe I could put one around her nose?
Tape doesnt work on mine either, I just get a "what's mum doing now she's being weird" look. She just leaces it there unless I take it off lol

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
i taped a post it note,
which hung into his visual field,
THAT made him paw at it.
not just a piece of tape.

A plain post-it note, fell off too fast, too interruptive, to keep replacing the note,
but, if i taped the post-it note
where it blocked part of his vision, right between his eyebrows,
that made him want to swipe it off. ...cuz he couldn't see well with that note hanging in his eyes.

but, i think Anneke's video above will get a better result than what i got with my dog. I bet Anneke's dogs will HOLD their paw over their eye the way she is teaching it....my dog just swipes his eyes....