Teach Your Dog Spin!

Dlilly

Honored Member
This is an easy trick that also looks pretty neat!!!

(This is my 2nd How-To video. Sorry it isn't that great. :sick: It doesn't help that my brothers were yelling nonsense throughout the video either. :mad:)

This is how I taught my dogs spin. Basically, I lure them with a treat, then I phase out the treat, then I phase out the hand lure. :D

BTW, in the video, Chance is actually learning spin. He didn't already know it.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
That's great Well done. :)
I'm having trouble luring Bella, she doesn't tend to follow the treat. I've tried this trick a few times and she has spun once then she just sits there or tends to stand instead of following the treat but like I said I have trouble luring her into the spin.

Dlilly

Honored Member
I would try getting a big spoon of peanut butter then try luring. Her being able to see the yummy treat might help. :)

Also, click & reward her right when she starts to turn. If you have to, take baby steps with the turning! Click & treat when she turns her head, click and treat when she turns her body, ect.

If all else fails, you can teach her to touch your hand to teach spin. You would just ask her to turn her head and touch your hand, then turn her body and touch your hand, ect. I've never done this before, but I've heard somewhere that this is how they taught their dog spin.

If this doesn't help, I'll go surf youtube and look for another video. :D

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Hmmmm good idea with something on the spoon but maybe not peanut butter as I don't think it agrees with her, we've had a few accidents :sick: when i tried to use it for lick your lips.
Any idea what else I could use??

Dlilly

Honored Member
They have at Petsmart kong ball cheese stuffer in a can. Maybe something like that?

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Hmmmm think I have some of that in the cupboard will give it ago later and see how she does. Thanks for the suggestion

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
I would try getting a big spoon of peanut butter then try luring. Her being able to see the yummy treat might help. :)

Also, click & reward her right when she starts to turn. If you have to, take baby steps with the turning! Click & treat when she turns her head, click and treat when she turns her body, ect.

If all else fails, you can teach her to touch your hand to teach spin. You would just ask her to turn her head and touch your hand, then turn her body and touch your hand, ect. I've never done this before, but I've heard somewhere that this is how they taught their dog spin.

If this doesn't help, I'll go surf youtube and look for another video. :D
Just gave trying it another go after doing a few following hand exercises. And she seems to have got it, or i can atleast get her to spin yay. Will try again tomorrow. Maybe video it. But hand touching definately is the way to go for Bella with this trick.

Dlilly

Honored Member
I'm glad to hear she is getting the hang of it! I'd love to see a video of her progress. :)

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Well heres Bellas progress - No more needing to follow the hand just a twirl of the fingers or the word spin and she gets it yay