Take Nice.. My Fingers Hurt!

elsapuppy

Hi all!
I am wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to get my puppy (12 weeks) to take treats from me without biting my fingers. I have tried everything that I can think of. There are times when she is gentle but if my other two dogs are around, forget it. I didn't have this problem with my others, kinda thrown for a loop here. Is this something she will eventually grow out of?
Thank you!
Jackie

freedomdreams

when giving treats have your hands in a fist with the treat inside. If she is over excited and trying to grab the treat from you- do not give it to her. Tell your puppy to be nice, and when she eventually does calm down and is willing to be patient- lower your hand down at chest level so that she can reach down and take the treat from your unfolded hand nicely- this way she can not take treats from you in a rush- therefore causing bitten fingers. :) It's super important to enure they are taking treats nicely, and is focused on you. It's almost like teaching a dog not to eat food off the ground unless you give them permission.

running_dog

Honored Member
Because she is snatching the treats mostly when your other dogs are around it could also be a confidence issue - she maybe doesn't trust you to ensure she gets her treat and not the other dogs.

As well as giving the treat from your fist as freedomdreams says you might want to have a look at this Kikopup video and see if you can use any of the exercises she demonstrates. Your pup needs to know that you control the treats and that she can absolutely trust you to make sure she gets what you are offering her.