Sweet Potato

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
I got a nice tip and want to share...

My dog was with allergies so I went to the vet and he told it could be from lots of treats.
Then he told I could use lots of "Sweet potato" as treats with no risk for her health, Laika really enjoy it and it's also very health.

That's the tip, hope you like it...

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman.
The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
Edward Hoagland
See more of me and Laika: www.youtube.com/tamaravm

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
great tip. My dog only eats warmed up veggies usually, :rolleyes: and as much as we train, i'm not sure i'd want to give him that much vitamin A every day, but, for now and then, sweet potato is good. PLain, unspiced, unsweetened Punkin, frozen or plain, is big treat, too, although, it's also a dog laxative as well.O_o

some ppl use green beans, frozen green beans, and carrotts now and then, too.

So many of us here are so careful to buy healthy dog foods,(no corn, no byproducts, etc)
but then, many ppl buy really crappy treats. :sick: but it IS hard to find truly healthy dog treats in a store.
Most store bought treats are crapola, and the healthier ones cost a lot.
I don't think it is how many treats your dog gets,
but rather, what kind of treat you give him.

or I use meat bits, cut small,
or cut up hotdogs,
or hotdog bits dusted with parmesan,:LOL:
or occasionally, a bit of cheese. Or sometimes, oats and peanut butter, every once in a while, especially for jackpots.
I pretty much stay away from store bought treats.:cautious:

but usually, i use my own recipe, which is easy to make, and totally healthy.
My dog seems to enjoy a variety in his rewards, so i do rotate around.
I think my homemade treats might even be healthier than most dog foods...:ROFLMAO:

so i make my own treats, from scratch. It's about like making a batch of cookies, really.:LOL:

I make a batch about every 3 weeks, and freeze them, taking out one week's worth at a time. When trick training, I bust up all my treats to about raisen-sized, to avoid a full or fat dog. For jackpots, i give him many small treats in a row, while praising him the whole time, not one big treat.

There are many recipes on this forum, under "treats" or maybe it is called recipes.
this is the one i make most often,
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/liver-cookies.4061/
^ i cut liver 1/3 to 2/3 with some fresh veggies, to reduce the calories, etc.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Shiloh got a yeast infection in her paws because there was too much sugar in her dog food because of the sweet potatoes. She can't eat sweet potatoes anymore...

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
I did the "liver cookies" with some changes today...Laika loved it!
I used Luna fish and sardine, Carrots, Sweet potato, Potato and egg.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman.
The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
Edward Hoagland
See more of me and Laika: www.youtube.com/tamaravm

Dlilly

Honored Member
I should really try the liver cookies. My dogs will probably love them. :rolleyes:

I used to feed her TOTW (salmon flavor). All of the TOTW flavors have Sweet Potato in it. My other dog is fine eating it. It only effects the unlucky dogs I guess.

I hope you have no problems with it! :D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Dilly, i hope you do! :D If you can bake a batch of cookies, that is about the same degree of difficulty as this recipe is. :D
plus, it's so economical, so cheap to make, and it's so so nice to not worry if we are accidentally poisoning our dogs, or ruining their coats with crappy treats, etc.

and i really think, some dogs like a lil variety in their rewards, really perks 'em up!!

blacknym

Experienced Member
Deja loves Sweet Potatoe. LOL Goes nuts for pumpkin. haha

I think ill try making some of the treats in this forum...they all sound great!