Starting To Settle In, Showing Their True Colors Break Through

freedomdreams

So, forgive me if this is the wrong place to post.

I just wanted to share an update on how Aliza and Missy are settling in.
I am so proud of the progress between them and everyone.

Aliza- Like we all know she loves people, which makes training her so easily. I thought she was dog aggressive slightly due to her behaviour, and I am still wary with her and we are still slowly introducing her but I've learned to trust her enough to go up to a dog with required leash space and know she won't do anything, plus dogs are now walking up to her and she licks their faces and is all wags the majority of the time. No growling or lunging at any recently.. haven't tried her with Missy recently who the behavior started with.
She honestly, just wants to cuddle and be around you, she's starting to care less about the dogs around her and more about when I ask something of her and I love that!!
She quietly will give me her whole attention, she's learning if she wants something she needs to listen and that other dogs won't take away from her human time. I spent one hour with her to learn how to sit and she already does it immediately which makes us one step closer to getting her first trick title, She's a little energizer bunny !

Missy- She's been wonderful, very relaxed easy going, has some bad behaviours such as jumping up counters, humping pillows and blankets and trying to chew them. She radiates heat, enjoys cuddling, and gets bored easily.

Honestly, I swear my dad and I were very blessed in getting these dogs even if it seemed crazy to ourselves at times and others around us, but every day they astound us with their personalities, just like the rest of our dogs :)

Attachments

freedomdreams

Thanks everyone :) they're definitely settling in very well! Now hopefully we can move soon which has been in the cards for a while as we need more room :p

Anyone have any remedies though for a dog that likes to pretty much chew anything ? Missy seems to get bored easily no matter what we do and tries to chew anything and everything.

blacknym

Experienced Member
Bitter apple or a pepper solution sprayed on anything you see her starting to chew. Provide lots of chewies. :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Fabulous news, thank you for the update, so happy for you all:D

With Missy and chewing. I would give her a Kong stuffed with her fav. treats, also doggy puzzles, plus make sure she not only gets a lot of physical exercise but also loads of mental exercises as well, such as doggy puzzles. Mental exercises are actually even more tiring than physical, think of school work and University studies more tiring than partying:D You could also play 'seek' with her. Hide a treat, easy place at first, and ask her to 'seek/find' it. Then as she gets better at finding the hidden treat, increase the area and also the amount of hidden treats. This will keep her mentally stimulated, can be played indoors, and as already stated tire her out so she hasn't the energy to chew.

Most dogs chew because they're bored and will find their own way of entertaining themselves, which usually takes the form of either barking all the time, or chewing everything in sight - or both:rolleyes:

Plus 'doggy proof' your home as much as possible. Even if this means removing cushions etc. for a while, until she's over the chewing everything in sight stage. If you actually catch her in the act, then remove the item and give her one of her own toys. You can use a cue for her toys so she knows she can chew them but not your home!

Honored Member
Deer antlers are really good for dogs.

Holly is an extreme chewer and really goes through her plastic chews (nylabone etc). Some deer antlers last longer than others but Holly really likes them and they don't splinter or smell like bones do so they are fine for in the house.

Eta: Holly also likes ice, it doesn't last long but some kibble frozen into an ice cube is a very cheap form of entertainment.

Caiti

Experienced Member
Its best to redirect the dog to a more fun, rewarding activity. She is chewing because she's bored, so you need to give her something to do. I totally understand, Wylie needs constant stimulation. Provide her with lots of toys and regular play sessions. I would get a kong and fill it with treats or frozen peanut butter. Also, consider getting one of those plastic orange balls that dispense treats, it can keep her occupied for a while and you can put her regular food it it instead of treats. :)

Keep in mind, a tired dog is a good dog. Are you providing her with enough exercise?