Stand For Examination

2SpoiledAussies

We have been doing Stand for Examinations for a while at my dog school. Toby has gotten it from the first time perfectly. Hannah runs TO whoever is going to touch her even when they are being extremely careful to not distract. She is so friendly and just wants to play that we have never gotten this one. Any tips?

MaryK

Honored Member
Hannah sounds a really cutie:)

I would try rewarding her before the person approaches and ask for 'stay' at the same time. Also work on her stand/stay a lot, without anyone approaching her. Then move up to people approaching/petting etc. once she will reliably stand/stay.

Linda A

Experienced Member
In my eyes, you are lucky to have one dog who will stand for inspection! Royal would be all over whom ever approached him. He really loves people! Spice would be trying to run away. She is terrified of strangers. Poor baby. It's been three years and I can not convince her that people (besides me) are nice.

Mutt

Experienced Member
Reinforcing that standing still wil initially mean getting a reward (getting greeted/petted by that person), this is how I taught my dogs to wait nicely while I walk away.

Anneke

Honored Member
Reward while the person is still at a 'safe' distance. So when that person is not close enough to cause a reaction. Have this person totally ignore her, even with their back turned towards the dog, if necessary. Then with a tiny step at a time have the person come closer. So one step, reward untill the dog ignores and stays in position. If she moves towards the person, have the person walk away. That way she will get it. Going towards the person means no reward!
Then when you get to the point where the person can stand next to her, don't have the person bend over to touch her right away. Just reward the fact your dog is still in position.
When you do have the person touch your dog, keep the touch short. And then build up the touching with tiny steps. As soon as your dog displays exitement, person walks away, or turns their back towards the dog.

It is a slow process, but it is how we train this with overexited dogs;) Jinx used to jump up at everybody(still does:D) but not when she needs to be examenend.
Good luck! It is great when you have a people friendly dog, but a curse when you don't want the jumping:D:rolleyes::love:

2SpoiledAussies

Thank you guys so much! I'll definitely be working on this some more! I have a friend who likes to train with me, and I'm sure she'd be willing to help! I'll keep you guys updated!

2SpoiledAussies

Thanks you guys! Hannah is doing so well! I had to have my friend stand turned around across the room, and eventually she got used to that. But the first few times she ran to her. Then we did little bits at a time, and eventually she just got it! Last night, my sister (9) and 2 of her friends would come up to her and shake her hair on her back, order for a long time while being very distracting. And she did perfectly!

Evie

Experienced Member
In my eyes, you are lucky to have one dog who will stand for inspection! Royal would be all over whom ever approached him. He really loves people! Spice would be trying to run away. She is terrified of strangers. Poor baby. It's been three years and I can not convince her that people (besides me) are nice.

Evie has Spice's problem. Standing for inspection is something that she will NEVER be able to do..... unless of course the inspector is one of 'her' 7 people in which she would have Royals problem...