"solving" Shape Puzzle

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Oh my gosh that is so cute!! Kali is so smart!! That is a great idea for a trick! It definitely shows off her intelligence! :D

MissyBC

Experienced Member
That is awesome! I love it and have been wanting to teach this trick to my Border Collie, but wasn't sure if it was possible. Awesome work with Kali!

Thanks! :) I'll explain how it came to my mind to teach her that. When I work on my computer and she wants to play, she takes her ball and puts it in my lap. But the ball usually just slide down. Then she figured out how to fix a ball between my hip and armrest on my chair and she does that very gently so I don't even figure out she is doing that. Then I get up, ball drops, and she act like I started to play wit her :D . That gave me idea, if she can do that with ball, she could do more complicated stuff with different objects.

MissyBC, we started with simple stuff, "take" and "put here" (in some container). First, ball and relatively small box, then more complicated shapes. After 2-3 different simple shapes I bought her shape puzzle box.

One more thing, solving shape puzzle box is very mentally demanding for her and she usually gets tired after 6-10 shapes and starts to make mistakes. So we start with simple shapes (square, circle...) and finish with more complicated like stars, hearts etc.

Here is one of the first things we learned. I'll translate what I'm saying to her:
1."bring the circle"
2."put it on bed"
3."take the ball"
4."put it in circle"

running_dog

Honored Member
I love both your trick videos! Kali and you are amazing together.
I tried to teach Zac to stack dishes but he turned it into a joke against me because he figured out what I wanted and then did every other thing he could think of instead :LOL: ... so I love seeing a dog that will work so willingly and efficiently to do what you ask.
Interesting how Kali finds this so mentally tiring, worth bearing in mind for people who for some reason need a trick to tire their dogs out without physical exercise.
I'm curious... have you tried Kali with more than 2 options of holes and shapes at once?

I love both your trick videos! Kali and you are amazing together.
I tried to teach Zac to stack dishes but he turned it into a joke against me because he figured out what I wanted and then did every other thing he could think of instead :LOL: ... so I love seeing a dog that will work so willingly and efficiently to do what you ask.
LOL sometimes she does that, we just stop and try again in few hours.
Interesting how Kali finds this so mentally tiring, worth bearing in mind for people who for some reason need a trick to tire their dogs out without physical exercise.
Yes, but she is always ready to play fetch, jump and run :D she just doesn't like to try to put a star 5x in a row without success (you can see that with last, heart shape)
I'm curious... have you tried Kali with more than 2 options of holes and shapes at once?
No, not yet, but I had that in mind. I have to buy something like this first

Here is one more, same trick, different object and it really shows how precise she can be (best part starts at 0:30)

running_dog

Honored Member
Wow! that's super cool! I don't know if I will ever have the patience to teach my dogs to do this!
I thought I had lots of patience with Zac but he still thought it was more fun not to do what I wanted. Sometimes it's better to work with what you and your dog enjoy. Kali was a very very special dog with an amazing bond with her owner :cool: