Small Chihuahua Leg Sprain? Please Advise

ruffngreedy

My little chihuahua - MinPin mix has been favoring her back right leg for about 2 days now.

It wasn't from something specific or any sign of pain. She just jumped in the car and when I went to put her back on the ground ten seconds later, she was favoring the leg. No signs of pain. I massaged it, flexed and stretched the leg. No pain or indication she was in any. She has been hobbling around on 3 legs, putting the hurt one down sometimes when she needs to us the bathroom (even standing on only the hurt leg) or when she is standing to eat. So it seems like the muscle is just sore but she knows she can still use it.

I had a neighbor tell me about a knee cap disorder in small dogs but its not that judging by her symptoms.
I dont want to take her into the vet just for a small sprain but I also dont want any permanent damage to her leg. Just not sure if I should be worried or not yet

In the attached pictures, you can see her on the leg while going to the bathroom and then favoring the leg in the next picture as she walks away
Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 11.48.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 11.49.03 AM.png

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Little dogs can hurt themselves quite easily when jumping. Can you gently feel both back legs and compare them to see if anything is out of place or swollen? Sometimes these things just work themselves out if it is a muscle pull or slight sprain. If nothing feels out of the ordinary, you could wait, but just make sure she isn't jumping up or down at all.

running_dog

Honored Member
Welcome to the forum :)

I'd keep her calm and not let her run around - even put her on the lead to go in the yard if there is no other way to keep her quiet. When dogs get excited or are busy with other things they forget they are in pain and then sometimes they make their strains worse. Be very careful when she actually starts using the leg again not to let her over do things.