Skye The Border Collie

ncsugrad54

I adopted Skye June 2013. She is just over 3 yrs old. She didn't know what toys were or how to catch. Now she knows lie down, shake, stickem up, nose, sit, stay, come, leave it, drop it, and how to catch a ball and frisbee. We are working on mastering bringing her leash to me, left, bow, and knowing toys by name. She just learned take it. I really want to learn how to get her to do some of the cool frisbee tricks I see in videos, but not sure how to teach them to her. I would love to learn how to teach her these.

I started training her on sheep, but it just costs too much for right now.

Attachments

southerngirl

Honored Member
Welcome. I love the color of Skye's coat. And kudos to you for rescuing. I'll explain later when I have time how to start frisbee.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Welcome! Skye is beautiful! Are there any specific frisbee tricks you want to teach her? I may be able to tell you how to teach it(or someone else probably can) or I can direct you to a video...

ncsugrad54

Thanks guys!
I would like to teach her to jump into my arms, or jump against my chest and off my foot. I guess I first need to teach her to flip, but I don't know how to do that either. Oh and by the way, she doesn't like to be picked up, but I think with a good amt of work she will become ok with it as long as she gets treats.

I found a video that shows what I really like. Not sure if the link will work. It's a border collie named Zoe that does the tricks. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

southerngirl

Honored Member
Here's the video I used to teach my dog to jump against my chest, I found it very helpful.
Make sure to take it slow and if your dog isn't getting something take a step back.

MaryK

Honored Member
Skye is gorgeous and thank you for rescuing her:D She's a quicker learner and I am sure will soon learn all the tricks you want her to know.:D

Thanks Danielle for the rebound video, am wanting to teach Leaf that, now she's almost old enough (two days to go to her 1st birthday).

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Skye is gorgeous and thank you for rescuing her:D She's a quicker learner and I am sure will soon learn all the tricks you want her to know.:D

Thanks Danielle for the rebound video, am wanting to teach Leaf that, now she's almost old enough (two days to go to her 1st birthday).
Aw, tell Leaf happy early birthday for me!

freedomdreams

she is a gorgeous dog! Good job for rescuing her and giving her the time of day, she probably appreciates that so much more than some would realize :) she sounds like such a smart dog!

I know of a few youtube videos that will help in regards to starting to teach a dog frisbee... just give me one moment, i'll find them for you.

here we go...

DiscConnected k9's is another personal favorite of mine and their youtube page is this-
http://www.youtube.com/user/HardDiscDogs

Keep in mind when Frisbee training- it also has a lot to do with how you throw the Frisbee, so train yourself as well :)

as well as Mark Muir- he has awesome tutorials.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GeorgiaIrish?feature=watch

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Hi, well done for rescuing! She is beautiful - welsh border collie? It sounds like you are doing a great job! There are some great vids above for tricks with a frisbee.. Ripley is unfortunately not a toy dog but I would love her to get into a frisbee.

ncsugrad54

Thanks guys! She has rebound down pretty well now! yay! I have been watching Mark Muir's videos. They are pretty good. I have been trying to get Skye and my other dog (Shadow) better at catching the frisbee. Shadow I have had from a pup so she is better with the frisbee. I am having trouble teaching them to run to get the frisbee. I can throw it to them and they catch it. They will also run after the frisbee, but usually don't catch it. I have tried praising a lot when they do catch it. Also, having trouble teaching Skye to go "cartwheels". I watched Mark Muir's video for that, but Skye just isn't getting it. Any advice on that???

Frisbeedreams - I think Skye and I both won with me rescuing her. :) She brings me a lot of happiness.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Thanks guys!
I would like to teach her to jump into my arms, or jump against my chest and off my foot. I guess I first need to teach her to flip, but I don't know how to do that either. Oh and by the way, she doesn't like to be picked up, but I think with a good amt of work she will become ok with it as long as she gets treats.

I found a video that shows what I really like. Not sure if the link will work. It's a border collie named Zoe that does the tricks. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

With the not liking to be picked up there might be issues relating to this that, in her previous life, may have led to fear or that she may feel like she was being dominated... These are issues from a past life that you can teach her in time will not happen anymore.

Try teaching her to like more close contact first, possibly, on ground level prior to taking her to a picking up stage.

Quite a good article is: http://shibashake.com/dog/hug-dog-teach-your-dog-to-enjoy-hugging

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
With the not liking to be picked up there might be issues relating to this that, in her previous life, may have led to fear or that she may feel like she was being dominated... These are issues from a past life that you can teach her in time will not happen anymore.

Try teaching her to like more close contact first, possibly, on ground level prior to taking her to a picking up stage.

Quite a good article is: http://shibashake.com/dog/hug-dog-teach-your-dog-to-enjoy-hugging
Another link regarding positive reinvorcement for picking up is:

ncsugrad54

actually since I made that first post she has gotten better about being picked up. Trust me, she is not concerned about personal space...she is always laying against me or on top of me ;). I don't think she likes being picked up in general, but while I was teaching her rebound, she also learned to jump into my arms. She has absolutely no problem doing this trick and even gets excited about it. My current problem in trick training is the one listed about about cartwheels etc. Thanks for the info tho, I will check it out.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
actually since I made that first post she has gotten better about being picked up. Trust me, she is not concerned about personal space...she is always laying against me or on top of me ;). I don't think she likes being picked up in general, but while I was teaching her rebound, she also learned to jump into my arms. She has absolutely no problem doing this trick and even gets excited about it. My current problem in trick training is the one listed about about cartwheels etc. Thanks for the info tho, I will check it out.
That is great to know, well done with that. I assumed because of the way my dog was with touching and particularly picking up - sorry. I haven't managed cartwheels with Ripley yet but will watch with excitement incase this can help us too!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thanks guys! She has rebound down pretty well now! yay! I have been watching Mark Muir's videos. They are pretty good. I have been trying to get Skye and my other dog (Shadow) better at catching the frisbee. Shadow I have had from a pup so she is better with the frisbee. I am having trouble teaching them to run to get the frisbee. I can throw it to them and they catch it. They will also run after the frisbee, but usually don't catch it. I have tried praising a lot when they do catch it. Also, having trouble teaching Skye to go "cartwheels". I watched Mark Muir's video for that, but Skye just isn't getting it. Any advice on that???

Here is a video I used to teach my pup Piper to catch the frisbee.

ncsugrad54

Hey! Thanks for asking. I did teach her to jump into my arms. I have gotten very lazy with training likely ESP since I have been working OT. I need to work on some more tricks :-/