River - Golden Retriever

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
River is almost 3 1/2 years old, although he still has a puppy face and is smaller than what people associate as the average full grown golden size so people are surprised to hear how old he is.
River came in to my life and started his training when he was 6 months old on 2/26/2010.
He has a natural retrieve which has been encouraged, and he will retrieve just about anything.
River's favorite sport is APDT Rally. He received his RL1 excellent when he was 8 months old. He now has his RL2 excellent as well. He has one leg towards his RL3 and earned a perfect score.
River has taken classes in competition obedience, treiball, and Agility as well as animal acting workshops.
River can be shy with people but he was able to pass his CGC and TDI tests.
River loves to learn new tricks! His favorite trick is 'limp'.

MaryK

Honored Member
River sounds adorable and a great do to work with. Same here Madeleine, I too would like to know what the APDT Rally is.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
APDT Rally (Association of Pet Dog Trainers) is similar to AKC Rally (American Kennel Club). Rally is like obedience and it is kind of like an obstacle course. When you go out into the ring there are signs all over the ring with different commands. You go through the course following the signs and having your dog do the commands on the signs. They may say things like [sit Down Sit] or [Sit Walk Around]. So you would have your dog sit then lay down and then sit from the down, or you would have them sit then you would tell them to stay and walk around them in the circle. Another difference between Obedience and Rally O. is that you can talk to your dog the whole time and use lots of praise and you can give a hand signal paired with a verbal command. It APDT Rally you can give treats after completing stationary signs. There are three levels in rally. Level 0ne is on-leash while level two and three are off-leash. Level 2 and 3 add more signs and they can have a jump or sometimes two and they sometimes have food bowls that you do a figure 8 around. The bowls have food in them with a mesh over top of the bowl so they can't actually get to it.
I will try to upload some videos from Face Book, but I am not sure if it will work...

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Let me know if these links work for you. I'm not sure if you need to be my 'friend' in order to see them.

This one is a lot better quality (better camera) but I think the taper accidently stopped it towards the end and then restarted it, so it is two parts with a little section missing.
This is River's first leg toward his RL3. He got a perfect score (210).
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=588212840391&set=vb.80001548&type=3&theater

River's bonus exercise; Retrieve! (His Favorite!)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=520125228511&set=vb.80001548&type=3&theater#!/photo.php?v=588214711641&set=vb.80001548&type=3&theater

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
That's amazing he accomplished that at only 8 months old!!!!

Thanks! We had just found out about it, so we decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, we NQed our first run, completely my fault, due to inexperience/ handler error. I didn't realize that I was using my hand to much to keep my puppy focused, (luring - even though I didn't have food in my hand.) The judge felt sooooo bad because he was so young and he did so well. But, we learned from our mistake and we ended up getting an excellent because as long as your first three passing scores are above 200 you get an excellent.

Evie

Experienced Member
Let me know if these links work for you. I'm not sure if you need to be my 'friend' in order to see them.

This one is a lot better quality (better camera) but I think the taper accidently stopped it towards the end and then restarted it, so it is two parts with a little section missing.
This is River's first leg toward his RL3. He got a perfect score (210).
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=588212840391&set=vb.80001548&type=3&theater

River's bonus exercise; Retrieve! (His Favorite!)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=520125228511&set=vb.80001548&type=3&theater#!/photo.php?v=588214711641&set=vb.80001548&type=3&theater
"dont have permission to view the page" <-- yep sorry, must be friend to view the video :(

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Wasn't able to see the videos, but it sounds like River is an amazing dog and you guys are doing some great work together.

So jealous of the limp, Veronica and I have been working on it for...months! And, well...we're still working on it!:rolleyes: