Recall sharpening tips

krazykai0905

I'm sharpening Kai's recall, so she listens to me better, so she can have more freedom. She does well in the dog park and will leave other dogs(she can be in mid-play) to come to me, but she runs past and keeps going. In the house, she completely ignores me. In the yard, too. I'd like to let Kai off her leash in some parks, maybe even have her heel and do tricks there too, but she gets so distracted and often runs off. I don't want her to get hit. Any one have any ideas on how she can be better? I've tried long-lead. She acts perfectly, but she knows when it's on. It's a very heavy leash, too.

~~*Harper & Kai*~~

ryleighgirl

I taught Ryleigh to touch my hand as a recall. So instead of come meaning run towards me and then just keep running after you get to me. Come means run towards me to touch my hand. Make sure you have her favorite treat whenever you say come. She will be more likely to leave what she is doing if she knows she is going to get something really good. Kai is still a puppy she sould get better with distraction as she get older. Some other people will probably have some better tips for distractions.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Go to a hunting supply or sporting goods store and get a 30-50 foot check cord. They are very light so it almost feels like they don't have a leash on. Also:

HIGH value treats wherever her recall isn't so great. In the park, since Kai has trouble with tricks too, always keep high value treats on hand. Bits of rolled dog food, cooked meats, hot dogs, anything super stinky that she likes a lot. I've had the best luck with rolled dog food. I buy it in big rolls, cut it into tiny squares, and preserve it in the freezer. I usually keep one ziploc bag in the fridge so I don't have to thaw it but it won't ruin.

As for recall in the park:
High value treat, for one, and a long leash. Start with shorter distances. In more distracting environments, you have to pretend she's gone stupid. Lol, no offense. Make it really easy. Whatever distance she's perfect at, start there. Don't test her at a dog park close to the dogs if her recall isn't good. Go somewhere relatively low-traffic. Practice here for a while and slowly move into higher-traffic areas. Don't use the high-value treats the entire time you're working with her unless you have to. The first several trips you may have to use just the high value. Sneak in a lesser value treat once in a while so she doesn't get used to only getting the good stuff---she'll either only work for the good stuff or get bored with it.
Work your way up slowly--low traffic area first, work up to relatively long distance. THEN move to medium traffic area. You may need to go back to short distance. Most dogs do. Work up to long distance again and move to high traffic.
Keep in mind that Kai will let you know when you're moving too fast--you won't make progress. If her recall stinks when you move to the high traffic area, then you've moved too soon. Back it up a step and work a little more where she's comfortable.
Hope this helps. :) If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

krazykai0905

I'll take that in hand! Today it snowed well over a foot so my mom and I let both dogs out off-lead. Snickers didn't do too well, but Kai did awesome! She ran like crazy in the front yard, but she always fallowed me when I called her. I can't wait for the snow to melt, the next re-call step!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
"Don't use the high-value treats the entire time you're working with her unless you have to. The first several trips you may have to use just the high value. Sneak in a lesser value treat once in a while so she doesn't get used to only getting the good stuff---she'll either only work for the good stuff or get bored with it."

What a great tip, Tx!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Thanks Tigerlily. ^^

Also, I teach an off-leash walk and an off-leash heel, as well as a release. An off leash walk, for my dogs, means heel position with no enthusiasm or eye contact required. Just stay in position, and don't break it. This requires no real command. I use a command to get in position and then "let's go" just to signify movement. I use "Okay" to release. As soon as I call them back, they're expected to return to position and continue on.
The off-leash walk isn't as demanding for your dog or you, so it's easier for the both of you to enjoy a long walk unleashed. I would not recommend ever having your dog completely unleashed in an unfenced area or park without a very good recall. Every time you call her and she doesn't come or runs past you, you're reinforcing that in her mind. This is where 50' leashes really come in handy. :) You can also buy some light rope at any marine supply or livestock supply store to make a 100' or longer leash. :)

stace

i too have had alot of success with a "touch recall"..... i use a chin touch (release)....and im in agreement about the treats....especially with the recalll....use of motivators / high value rewards ALWAYS A SMART MOVE for BOTH myself + dog im working... esp when wking 2 increase distance&/or distractions!! the chin touch helps here. I often use/teach when i start on the long line, as a secondary reinforcer and than, when its time to fade out food rewards or start variable ratios of food rewards than touch is a great way to keep dog motivated and focused om me.....sounds like u had some fun out in the snow !! sounds 2 me like u and ur dog must be working well togeather :) cuz there is nothing like something as exciteing as a bunch of newly fallen , Deep, snow 2 romp in for many dogs to loose focus..... :dogbiggrin::

denise h

I have two Collie x Labs, though to look at them, one would think a Rottie got in first!. They are just over 10 months old and great on recall if walking out undistracted. However, as soon as the sound of children's voices or other dogs appear in the distance, they are gone and as we walk mostly in the woods, a 50' leash would be impractical. They work well on treats but without a local training group to train to leave other dogs, I really don't know how to overcome this problem. Any advice would be gratefully received...

hannah_mylo

A recall game that we play often just to keep on top of his recall goes like this:

I have some treats C/T when he is with me. I then throw a treat out in any direction and run the opposite way shouting his name and come once. I will then C/T when he catches up with me and start the game over.

This game has worked wonders with mine so hope it helps. I also play hide and seek with himwhich makes him think mums crazy ive gotta keep my eye on her or she disappears. Of course im always not far away and it just makes him check in with me to make sure im still around.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I would not recommend ever having your dog completely unleashed in an unfenced area or park without a very good recall. Every time you call her and she doesn't come or runs past you, you're reinforcing that in her mind. This is where 50' leashes really come in handy. :) You can also buy some light rope at any marine supply or livestock supply store to make a 100' or longer leash. :)
So how do you use these incredibly long ropes? Do you hold one end in your hand or tie it around your waist or what? And how do you attach them to the dog? Then you have this great long mass of rope to wind up and untangle. Brody gets his 6' wrapped around his legs all the time. I tried a shorter length, maybe 15', in the park to help him with bringing the ball back, but it was too short to be of much use. I can't imagine using 100'.

southerngirl

Honored Member
So how do you use these incredibly long ropes? Do you hold one end in your hand or tie it around your waist or what? And how do you attach them to the dog? Then you have this great long mass of rope to wind up and untangle. Brody gets his 6' wrapped around his legs all the time. I tried a shorter length, maybe 15', in the park to help him with bringing the ball back, but it was too short to be of much use. I can't imagine using 100'.
First to attach the rope I would just tightly tie it to the Dring on the collar. Don't give the dog the whole leash right away as the dog gets further from you continue to feed him the rope as he gets closer you start reeling the rope back in. Or you could just give the dog the whole leash and when your done playing coil the rope back up. Also instead of using 100' you could use a shorter length 50' 30'.