Raw Feeders - Dog Burying Bones!

Lexy88

Ok so Blade has been on full raw for a month or two now. He has never been particularly food oriented but will eat his raw meals up straight away - except his bones, which he buries and will dig up daaaaaays later if he feels like it. He gets offered meaty bones at least once a week. Will he become deficient in any of the minerals etc he needs from bones if he keeps leaving them and not eating them regularly, or will he naturally feel like he needs to eat bones so will seek out his buried ones when he needs them?

charmedwolf

Staff member
Some dogs bury them. It's an old instinct that they still carry with them. If he digs them back up that's fine if he doesn't oh well. Dogs know what they do and don't need... well most of the time.

When they bury the bones, the bones start to decompose. It makes it easier for them to digest. It also happens to be what some dogs do to bones that they really cherish or want to keep alway from their pack.

madeleine

Experienced Member
What are the bones that you give? What part and from what animal do they come from?
Since you just started on raw feeding it's possible that Blade's digestion still has to "learn" how to digest bones.and for that reason he's burrying the bones.
Maybe you could start with the necks of chickens or ducks, even flatten them with a hammer to make it easier for Blade to eat.

I wouldn't let my dog eat burried boned. She get's her food in her bench where I can see her eating.