Off Leash Obedience Breakthrough!

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Hey there!

Just today I have started letting Missy drag her lead when there aren't too many distractions. Also, I let her drag her lead in a fenced in school yard (mostly fenced anyway). Also, I let her drag her 6' leash at the park for a couple short throws of the ball. (the local park isn't fenced -- I always check for cars before letting her drag it, and if there are any, I let them pass the park first before dropping it.)

Just wanted to let you know of our awesome progress!! (my confidence is finally growing!)

southerngirl

Honored Member
That's great that Missy is doing so well and your beginning to trust her not to take off after something. This time next year she'll hopefully be offleash. (Crossing fingers). Keep up the great work.(y)

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Thanks, southerngirl!

My dad has even noticed how much better she's getting. He said to my mom on Sunday while I was playing Frisbee in the school yard with Missy: "Wow! She's really paying attention to Laura. I can see a huge difference." He figures that it'll probably be about a month or so and she'll be off leash in the school yard. :D So that's a start! :)

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thanks, southerngirl!

My dad has even noticed how much better she's getting. He said to my mom on Sunday while I was playing Frisbee in the school yard with Missy: "Wow! She's really paying attention to Laura. I can see a huge difference." He figures that it'll probably be about a month or so and she'll be off leash in the school yard. :D So that's a start! :)
It always feels great when parents complement how great your doing with your dog.:D

MaryK

Honored Member
Congratulations that's awesome!!!!!!!!:) Thrilled for you both and also that your dad complimented Missy, always extra special when someone close compliments you on your dog's manners!:)

I'm just starting with Ra Kismet to drop the lead, except at the beach where he's totally safe, and do all that you do, watch for cars, dogs etc. before letting go the lead.

Honored Member
That's awesome (y)

I've just started letting Lewis off lead (we've had him for 7 months now). Although my mum is still too scared and has said she probably always will be so we just bought a 10m long line (not that Lewis even wants to walk far away). Our previous dogs (except Holly) only went off-leash at the dog park but Lewis doesn't like other dogs and all our within-walking-distance parks are not fenced.

The first time we let Lewis off at the park he ran straight for the road. I think we tried it too soon as we had only had him for a month, we let him drag his leash and he was fine so my mum decided (against my advice) to just let him off. I think he was scared and wanted to go home so he ran to the road. Luckily there is a small carpark and then a driveway before the road and Holly went and got him for us. I didn't tell her to and I thought for a second that she was joining him in the running away until they appeared again with Holly chasing him back to us.