Obedience Training -- We're Bored...

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Missy and I are bored...

I just got back from practicing obedience (come, leave it, let's go, sit/wait, down, and of course her release word "okay") and playing Frisbee at the park. I told her to sit, which she did, but then she broke her sit and went to sniff something right when we got there, but I placed her back where she was...

Although she doesn't come every time she's called anymore (she used to), she is learning to leave vehicles alone when I tell her to. (She was coming when called consistently 95% of the time on Tuesday morning).

Please Note: Missy is still on her 50' long line...

I have liver and cheese in my pocket when training and I do make sure I give treats to her at random... do I maybe need to change treats up again? O.o

How could I make obedience more fun and productive for both of us?

Help!!

Anneke

Honored Member
I do game sessions. Ask for a sit, give release and run, then I suddenly stop and ask for a down, give release and run again. I use a tug to reward and keep my dog hyper.
Or I give a sit/down/stand and stay, run away and either go back to reward or call her to me. Sometimes rewarding with a treat, sometimes with a tug. You could reward with the frisbee.
This might help to keep her attention more;)

Mutt

Experienced Member
I keep it fun by switching quickly between commands (speeding up a sequence), switching between commands often and trowing in a trick every now and then. For instance I might ask the dogs for a stay while they are in a bow and start walking around.

I also use 3 kinds of treats: their normal food (I have very foodmotivated dogs so this a reward for them already), dog treats and small pieces of dried fish. The fish they get only a few times per session, the dog treats they get more often and their own food most of the time. I find that this keeps it interesting (though like I said I have very foodmotivated dogs (lab crosses ;))

This is how an basics (obdience) training session can look like with me: