New With Clicker Training

freedomdreams

Hi there everyone!

I was just sitting here thinking about how I want to increase the amount of training that Kilo has- of course I reason as to why I am here, and I am a huge advocate for Clicker training and positive reinforcement. Now I noticed that, because I am newer to clicker training and so with that being said- there are SO many times that I want to have treats or the clicker on me so that I can reinforce it, but I keep constantly forgetting and so i usually resort to praise or running to grab a treat.. how do you condition yourself to actually ALWAYS have a clicker or treats with you? I feel if I did.. I'd probably make leaps and bounds with training, even if it's already complicated not having a specific training space and always having two puppies tied to your ankles. :p

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I have a wrist strap on my clicker, so I can wear it all the time if I need to. Having multiple clickers might not be a bad idea. Also, wear a jacket with pockets and keep a zip lock bag with treats in it. I had an old fanny pack lying around that I used quite a bit as well. You can also keep little bowls of treats at strategic spots around the house, like just inside the door to grab as you take puppy out for potty breaks, or near the crate or bed.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I've probably got 10+ clickers, one in each training bag (I've prob got 5 of those) and a few others stashed here and there. When I'm working with dogs or especially young dogs, I always just wear a clicker on a stretchy wrist band, that way I never have to look for it. I don't use many packaged treats at all, I usually use things like hot dogs, cheese, etc, but it's easy to get some packaged treats and keep small ziploc bags of them stashed all over the house (out of dog-reach tho!), and always keep some in your pockets (heck, when I was trying to capture a bow first thing in the morning I even kept tiny treats in my pajama pockets - nerdy, I know :rolleyes::LOL:). If you see some behavior you like, quickly click/treat! :) The faster you can click and treat, the more fun the game becomes for them (instead of clicking, then having to run someplace else for treats, or giving at "atta boy/girl"). It becomes such a fun surprise to pull a treat out of a drawer, or your pocket, they never know when to expect the good stuff, so work hard more of the time (at least that's what I've found).

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I've probably got 10+ clickers, one in each training bag (I've prob got 5 of those) and a few others stashed here and there. When I'm working with dogs or especially young dogs, I always just wear a clicker on a stretchy wrist band, that way I never have to look for it. I don't use many packaged treats at all, I usually use things like hot dogs, cheese, etc, but it's easy to get some packaged treats and keep small ziploc bags of them stashed all over the house (out of dog-reach tho!), and always keep some in your pockets (heck, when I was trying to capture a bow first thing in the morning I even kept tiny treats in my pajama pockets - nerdy, I know :rolleyes::LOL:). If you see some behavior you like, quickly click/treat! :) The faster you can click and treat, the more fun the game becomes for them (instead of clicking, then having to run someplace else for treats, or giving at "atta boy/girl"). It becomes such a fun surprise to pull a treat out of a drawer, or your pocket, they never know when to expect the good stuff, so work hard more of the time (at least that's what I've found).
I have to be more diligent about checking my pockets before doing laundry now. Nothing like finding several pieces of hot dog and cheese along with poop bags in the bottom of the washing machine!

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
As for the treats I always packed them because I had a fearful dog so I needed them to help get him through the scary things we encountered. Sometimes it helps to have a training backpack that has everything you need when you are taking your dog on a field trip. I would pack treats, a squeaky toy, tug rope, bags, etc. and then maybe add some special treats like chicken or hot dogs depending on where we were going.

freedomdreams

that's probably a really good idea- it's a much easier way to bring things around. I usually use a backpack for the majority of things whenever I go somewhere because I'm not a huge fan of purses...well I am, just they seem to get in the way more often then not. I'll have to start doing that more frequently when I take the boys out..especially in the summer time.