New Puppy

Lindz

Hi I'm Lindz, Yesterday I brought home a female 5 month old Chinese Crested Powderpuff pup. She is precious but still on the timid side. I've named her Sadie. We are going to the vet to get checked out tomorrow. :)I'm sure in a couple of weeks she will settle into our home which includes two devon rex cats and rescued orange tabby. The cats are all indoor neutered males.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
It's entirely normal for dogs new in a home to be unsure, even a bit reserved. The pup has no idea what your intentions are, what are the rules, where IS my 'bathroom' area, is he safe here, etc etc.

Time passing and LOTS OF TEENY TINY TREATS delivered from your hand, or have pup lick tiny dab of peanut butter off of your hand, is very very bonding to the dog. Try your best not to reward signs of fear or distress with affection. (this is harder to do than to say, i know, haha!!)

If you brand new housemate is too timid to take treat (i keep all treats TINY, and i use crumbs of real meat) directly from your hand, then settle for tossing treats to pup, and toss them in ever shortening distances so pup must come closer each time to get treat.

Be aware, too, that you know this pup is yours, but, he doesn't know this just yet. So far as the pup knows, he is lost, and you are just some friendly stranger so far.
lots and lots of tiny bits of real meat, hand delivered, helps pup bond with you.
CONGRADULATIONS AND GOOD LUCK!! SEE YOU AROUND!!!

Lindz

It's entirely normal for dogs new in a home to be unsure, even a bit reserved. The pup has no idea what your intentions are, what are the rules, where IS my 'bathroom' area, is he safe here, etc etc.

Time passing and LOTS OF TEENY TINY TREATS delivered from your hand, or have pup lick tiny dab of peanut butter off of your hand, is very very bonding to the dog. Try your best not to reward signs of fear or distress with affection. (this is harder to do than to say, i know, haha!!)

If you brand new housemate is too timid to take treat (i keep all treats TINY, and i use crumbs of real meat) directly from your hand, then settle for tossing treats to pup, and toss them in ever shortening distances so pup must come closer each time to get treat.

Be aware, too, that you know this pup is yours, but, he doesn't know this just yet. So far as the pup knows, he is lost, and you are just some friendly stranger so far.
lots and lots of tiny bits of real meat, hand delivered, helps pup bond with you.
CONGRADULA I clean up and then spray with an enzyme cleaner. TIONS AND GOOD LUCK!! SEE YOU AROUND!!!
Thanks for the response and good tips. She is not reliable about potty. She goes outside and comes in a goes again. I clean up and then spray with an enzyme cleaner to get rid of the smell. I don't know what I am doing wrong. It is hard to watch her every second she is in the house. Any suggestions?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Yes, my rescue was exact same way. Even a perfectly housetrained dog, will often have accidents in first weeks, it's nerves, and uncertainty, (whether you can read dog language to catch that in your dog or not, it is a rare dog who is put into brand new home, with brand new strangers, and relaxes in first weeks)
and the lack of courage to ask you anything, like "let me out"---or they don't know how to ask yet.
New dogs are on "company manners" for many weeks. Some dogs aren't even sure where the "bathroom" IS ha ha!!

{{EDIT---SORRY, i got you mixed up with someone else, YOU have baby dog, ohhh. Baby dogs take a lil while, ha ha, yeah, they do. They don't quite have the self control yet. Sounds like you are doing right things, though!!}}

So, i took him out on leash EVERY TWO HOURS, every 2 hours, and once again, very late at night, (and first night or two, also during night)
and very very early in the morning.
I cleaned up the messes, and did not scold. ever.
I praised him in slow calm voice whenever he'd peed or pooped outside, and gave a treat..
Overtime, i made note of which times he peed or pooped, and began, slowly, to stop some of the less useful outings.

Also, my dog does better to pee on a walk. He just does. If i put him in yard, he pees one time.
If i walk him, he pees and pees many times, gets way more empty.

Plus, walking is so relaxing and satisfying to upset dogs anyway, so really, i should say, i walked him eveyr 2 hours, even if only to the corner and back.

Overtime, we discovered his schedule, and where he liked to go best,
and then just walked him at those times.