Need Tips To Teach Limping

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Hey guys,

Veronica and I have been working on learning to limp and using this video as a guide:

but we're stuck at the supported limp stage. I can't get her to try to take a step without using my finger to push off on.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Mutt

Experienced Member
Maybe this is an idea, in the following video limp is taught without handsupport but with an object, maybe this is easier to fade for her:

Maybe first starting to ask her to pull her paw up (without support) and than asking her to take a step? But you probably did this already :ROFLMAO:

fickla

Experienced Member
After working on simple duration of the paw being in the air, I move to facing the dog. I've had success with the last several dogs on getting more of an UP reach rather than forward at first. So they're kinda targeting my hand and jumping with the paw raised. After they're able to jump with one paw raised I move to limping a step forward while I go back.

With the first dog I taught this to I used a leash under his paw. It was held loose enough where he could set his foot down when he wanted but would support him while he was learning. I was then able to hold it looser and looser so that at one point he could only limp when the leash was on but was no longer needing it for any support :) Since then I no longer like this method, but simply because I love shaping more.

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Thanks for the tips!

I actually thought of the leash under the paw; although I used a belt...but as anticipated...it freaked Veronica out, as "props" tend to do that to her.

I have duration w/ the paw lift, she seems to get "hold" as in don't put your paw down...but now I have to get her to move forward without support.

I am working on giving her very little actual "pressure" for support, and thinking maybe I can try to slowly decrease the amount of "support" she needs...

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
The "how to" video said it had to do with building muscle memory and that you had to be very patient...so I just kept trying, and trying..and trying :D and tried to give her less and less support over time.

I think I've been at it for at least 3 weeks; a little bit at a time...no pressure.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I'm going to try it again after I finish the K9 freestyle video for Sarah's contest. Know that I know you have taken about three weeks to get were you are I realize that it'll take a bit for her to get it. I just have to keep reminding myself it takes time.:)

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Patience is definitely NOT something I have been blessed with...so this is just as much a matter of my learning something as it is Veronica learning!! :D

But Veronica is a slow learner; always has been. When she gets it, she gets it; but it has always taken her a long time, unless it is very simple; and it takes her a long time to learn behaviors with just the verbal cue - no hand signal hints.

Dogster

Honored Member
YAY!!! Congrats!!!!:) She is doing so well!!!!:D And LOL, I always shower Shivon with hugs and kisses if she gets a trick right.:love::p

boltandjenny

I just taught my dog to limp, what I did was have him give me his paw and then have him hold it in the air for a longer period of time and once he was able to do it for long then I had him stand up and do the same thing over again. To teach him to take a step I held his paw for support and lured him to take a step, then I gave less and less support until my hand wasnt there at all. Now he can limp :)

Evie

Experienced Member
OMG I AM SO JELOUS!!!

Veronica and you are doing AWESOME!!!! GRATS!!!

I can't even get Evie to stand next to me for longer than 2 seconds never known limp. However limp is on our 'to teach list' and we've started by teaching her to target a target stick and i'm going to try from there.

EXCELLENT WORK!!!

Evie

Experienced Member
Veronica is such a cutie by the way :love:

It's a pity we're not allowed to have pitties over here. Sigh.

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Thanks Evie!

A little update on our lack of updates...about 3 weeks ago Veronica hurt her CCL. Very minor injury. SHe hurt the other leg about 1 year ago and we went back and forth with the surgeon and actually healed that leg completely with conservative managment. So I'm feeling completely confident with this injury being even more minor than the first that conservative management and home PT will do the job; but...obviously having her "limp" isn't good for her injured back leg so we are on hiatus.

We have however started a new trick we will be unveiling soon... :D