Need Help With Shaping!

driven

All of my dogs are familiar with the clicker but they do not understand the shaping method. How do I teach them how it works? Obviously I am wanting them to learn to think on thier own by teaching them this and to try to figure out what I want. My dogs stick with doing whatever I clicked for instead of expanding on it and trying to figure out what to do next. They get totally confused if I stop rewarding the command I clicked for and wait for them to do more. How do I change this and teach them that once I stop clicking for something I told them was a good thing that that means I want them to keep going and try to figure out what to do next?

Thank you everyone who replies!!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Have you read the Shaping lessons located in level 6? They explain in greater details how it works and how to do it. Basically instead of reinforcing a single behavior, you reinforce a series of smaller behavior which eventually lead to the behavior that you want.

Try the put a paw on box shaping lesson which is in level6.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
LOL I wouldn't say the best .. there are a lot of professional dog trainers on here. I just do it as a hobby. :D