Nancy Anne's Pampered Pets

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I just found these at Costco here in BC yesterday. The treats are called "Roasted Turkey & Sweet Potato Feast with Pumpkin & Cranberries". I had to keep my husband from digging in! They are American made, no wheat, corn or soy. $14.99 for 5 lbs./2.26 kgs. Ingredients: oatmeal, honey, palm oil, oat flour, turkey, sweet potatoes, pumpkin,flax seed, cranberries, dried whole eggs, chia seeds, natural smoke flavor. They are a little large for training treats, so I cut them into 4 pieces. A bit crumbly. I gave Brody a whole one and he kind of licked it and mouthed it. Took him about 30 seconds to eat the first one. Gave him another. That one went a bit faster. Cut them up, and he really started to enjoy them. Used them in a training session this afternoon, and he didn't want to stop!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Sorry, just realized this is under the heading "Dog Recipes", and it's not a recipe.:oops: There wasn't a section under "Products" for treats.

Evie

Experienced Member
Palm Oil...... think of the poor orangutans...... personally, I wouldn't knowingly buy any products with palm oil in them. Even one of Australia's leading supermarket chains has vowed to stop selling any product containing palm oil by 2016. Other than that they look great lol. Sorry to ruin a good treat. :unsure:

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Palm Oil...... think of the poor orangutans...... personally, I wouldn't knowingly buy any products with palm oil in them. Even one of Australia's leading supermarket chains has vowed to stop selling any product containing palm oil by 2016. Other than that they look great lol. Sorry to ruin a good treat. :unsure:
Forgive my ignorance, but what it the issue with orangutans and palm oil?

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Just did a google search. For anyone else who was not aware, the jungles of Borneo and Sumatra are being bulldozed to make way for African oil palm plantations. Many orangutans are losing their habitats as well as being killed when the areas are burned. Extinction in 10-20 years is estimated if this practice continues. Good on the Australian supermarkets for taking such strong action.

I will add palm oil to my list of things to watch for on all products I buy from now on. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I had no idea. Not a big loss, as the treats were losing their value.... a little too dry and crumbly for my liking, which is too bad, because the price was so good, and the other ingredients were so healthy.

Evie

Experienced Member
Sorry, I didn't reply, only just getting back on the pc now. but yes, when you google palm oil and you see more site actioning against it than sites explaining what palm oil actually is lol. There's been a big fuss made about it in Australia over the last few years so I'd assumed it was a globally known 'problem'. But i guess not lol.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
UGH Not Nuttella!!!!! Boooooo!!!

Yeah ive made efforts to get rid of palm oil in my cupboards as well.
Check the labels on your favorite chocolate bars. So long, Snickers. I don't even want to look anymore. This stuff is everywhere!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Just thought I would update this. Our Costco now sells another flavor of Nancy Anne's Pampered Pets. This one is peanut butter and honey. It is made with oatmeal and yogurt and NO PALM OIL! Yay! Brody loves them so much.

By the way, if anyone is interested in the whole palm oil thing, the reason why it is in so many products is because it is being used in many foods to make them free of trans fats. Normally companies would use hydrogenated vegetable oils to give their foods longer shelf-lives, but the trans fats make these very unhealthy. Palm oil is a very healthy alternative, but the growing practices are questionable. It would be nice if they could do this in a more earth-friendly way, rather than burning whole jungles and endangering wild life.

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Wait, it depends on where it's made. Palm oil produced in south america does not have said problems. You can write to the manufacturer and ask him where the palm oil comes from. It's not very eco-friendly either but at least those plants are planted purposely with the idea of harvesting the palm oil. It's no more or less eco-friendly than any other plantation I think.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Wait, it depends on where it's made. Palm oil produced in south america does not have said problems. You can write to the manufacturer and ask him where the palm oil comes from. It's not very eco-friendly either but at least those plants are planted purposely with the idea of harvesting the palm oil. It's no more or less eco-friendly than any other plantation I think.
I spent some time researching palm oil growing practices and I am happy to say that many of the major companies are taking the initiative to improve things. They are even working with local farmers (much like some of the fair trade coffee companies), building schools, providing medical care and daycare for workers. This is really great to see because palm oil is a wonderful product, as long as it is grown responsibly.