Liver with anniseed

josiebell

boil the liver in plenty of water and a couple of teaspoons of anniseed powder.
Take it out of the pan and pat dry on kitchen paper.
Slice thinly then place on a tray and bake on a very low heat for a couple of hours, until you can break small pieces off.
I've been told that you can also keep the water that the liver was boiled in to mix in with the dogs kibble.
Once cooked break up into small pieces and bag up for the freezer or will keep in the fridge for a few days.

josiebell

I'm making these today and the smell has kept Duke happy all afternoon (although not quite to my taste but not that foul either).

I'll let you know how the taste test goes as I'm taking them with me to trainning tonight!

josiebell

Hi, I used pigs liver, but that was because it was available at the time.

I have to say that they were a great hit. Once they had dried out in the oven they were easy to break into small pieces.

Duke love to crunch on them and the leftover water I drained and mixed some in with his dried dog food and he cleared his dish in record time!

I'm waiting to see how my son's dog, or my grandog as I affectionately call him, get on with them. He can't have anything with added colouring as it upsets his stomach so will be good to see how he gets on.

sarhaspups

cool, i'm going to try these but I'm going to use garlic instead of aniseed? Will let you know how they turn out :)

sarhaspups

Just made a batch this morning and the dogs love them!! They are a great training treat!! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe Josiebell!
Sarha

lotuslily

Kiera loves these treats!. We've made them ever since we realized 3 pounds of chicken liver is cheaper than anything you can buy in a petstore!

Try it with Garlic power instead of the Aniseed..and it gives it a great flavour!

Another suggestion:

Pan fry (no oil please!) the liver..it makes it taste/smell so much better than if you boil it! :)