Krista Cantrell

Ina

Hi there,

stumbled across Krista Cantrell's training videos. Has anyone subscribed to the full set?
One can get the first 4 weeks of lessons for free with access to the website, but so far it all seems very general to me. All this info I got in easier terms from YouTube without paying anything???

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I never heard of her, but, i love love love Kikopup's free online youtube videos. I like all her methods, i like her way of explaining many details, never misses a thing.

Ina

Yes, I also picked up most things from Emily's YouTube videos. The other please is www.dogstardaily.com where I watch Ian Dunbar's clips. Listening to him makes me always want to teach more and more and more.
Quote on reaching recall: "Dog sniffs tail of other dog. Mum calls dog. Dog thinks: Tail or mum, mum or tail.... the tail always wins unless you find a way to be more exciting than the tail". He is so down to earth and funny :)
The other one that comes to mind is how to teach Down-Stay. Set the dog up for success by making sure the dog isn't in a "ready-to-jump-up" position when you first practice the down-stay.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I think it was Tx who once told me, when teachig recall, try to avoid ever using the cue ("come" or whistle, or whatever you use to bring dog over) when you know it won't work, as it weakens the cue------ Like, almost no dog will come when he is doing his pre-urination sniffing....when you gotta go, you gotta go.
so i try to never call Buddy, when he is in one of those pre-pee sniffs. I wait til he pees, then call him. I don't want Buddy to learn, "I really don't have to listen.."
I'm not sure about sniffing another dog, i haven't tried interrupting that. I probably never will, either......For me, for MY dog, if MY dog *IS* successfully interacting with another dog, my heart pounds with joy, and it would take an earthquake to make me want to interrupt that....