Kirland Or Pure Balance

southerngirl

Honored Member
We have feed both Kirkland grain free and Pure balance to the dogs and know are trying to decided which one. Piper has allergies and I'm not sure what she's all allergic to, but on grain free her stool is normal instead of runny like when she was on ol'roy. Her skin gets brown areas all over it and her feet turn brown. She'll chew on them constantly.
This week was the first time on Chicken Pure balance grain free and I did notice her skin was really irritated this week, but it could have nothing to do with the dog food.
And it has to be one of this dog foods because we can afford these, other dog foods we have looked at are too much.
Chase eats- 4 cups twice a day(on a good day)
Piper eats - 3 cups twice a day
Missy eats - 1 1/2 cups
so as you can see that's a lot of dog food

running_dog

Honored Member
Have you thought about alternating a couple of foods? So maybe try keeping them on both of these foods.

If I feed more than half a diet in either of his kibbles Zac becomes really itchy (you can't touch him without his whole skin shivering and flinching) and his skin goes flaky. If I just run out of one type for a day or so he starts to itch.

running_dog

Honored Member
I love using two kinds of kibble because I use the more expensive one for "treats" and the other as "food". It means I can give lots of treats and not upset Zac's diet.

One day (finances permitting) I hope to be able to introduce a couple more types of kibble as well. I don't think that one kibble can give every dog everything it needs so it makes sense that a balanced kibble diet has a number of different types and brands in it.

stdpoodad

Experienced Member
on grain free her stool is normal instead of runny like when she was on ol'roy.
"Ol Roy is so nasty as to hardly be called a dog food! I would think that you might try a "normal" kibble, no need necessarily to jump to grain free.
Maybe try something like Canidae. My kids to well on it, Seamus has a ton of health problems, but he does well on Canidae.
I've tried Acana, Wellness Core and other "premium" foods, he never does very well on them.

southerngirl

Honored Member
"Ol Roy is so nasty as to hardly be called a dog food! I would think that you might try a "normal" kibble, no need necessarily to jump to grain free.
Maybe try something like Canidae. My kids to well on it, Seamus has a ton of health problems, but he does well on Canidae.
I've tried Acana, Wellness Core and other "premium" foods, he never does very well on them.
We feed Ol'Roy because it's what we could afford at the time. I don't need to be told it isn't good dog food, because I know that it isn't.
We have tried non grain free dog food before and Piper's stool was still loose. Plus Kirklands Grain free is what we can afford, the "normal" one cost more.

stdpoodad

Experienced Member
Ok, glad you are aware of "ol roy. :-) I didn't mean to offend you.
To answer your original question, I don't know anything about Pure Balance, but I have several friends that like and feed Kirkland (not sure if it's grain free or not)
But since you've tried "normal" foods before and Pipers stool was still loose, I'd go for the kirkland
grain free.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Ok, glad you are aware of "ol roy. :-) I didn't mean to offend you.
To answer your original question, I don't know anything about Pure Balance, but I have several friends that like and feed Kirkland (not sure if it's grain free or not)
But since you've tried "normal" foods before and Pipers stool was still loose, I'd go for the kirkland
grain free.
Sorry I get tired of being criticized for having feed Ol' Roy(not anyone from this site). Thank you for your opinion and they do have grain free we've been feeding it to the dogs and they are doing great on it.

running_dog

Honored Member
Sorry I get tired of being criticized for having feed Ol' Roy(not anyone from this site). Thank you for your opinion and they do have grain free we've been feeding it to the dogs and they are doing great on it.
I used to feed horrible dog food, I don't blame you at all for feeding Ol' Roy. What matters is that you are giving your dogs the best you can with the knowledge that you have now, you care more for your dogs than most people who feed more expensive foods.