Hunting

bigboytex

Well personaly I hunt as much as I possibaly can becuse I enjoy the challange but I use all that I can from what I kill. If its a deer I use the meat and as much of the hide and such that I can. I dont currentaly take Trophies per say but its really cause I dont have the money to have them mounted. But even then most people who do have them mounted still use what else they can. There are many reasons y to hunt hogs and coyotes becuse they do overrun land and can destroy food crops as well as cattle herds. I have olny hunted coyotes once (an old rancher payed us to get them off his land) and we simply took a few rifles out there no dogs. and I agree with txcowgril you should alwas make ur shots cout I have hunted with people who smiply wanted to fill them full of lead and make them run and I coudnet stand being with them. I will say though that I belive that dogs do have a place in huning as in catach and bay dogs for hogs and other big game, and even in racoon and such but you should alwas eat what u kill unless its just not possible like road kill. You just have to really watch what dogs you use if u use a slow dog that cant out run the coyote then there is a good chance that the dog will be taken down and eaten, and even boar dogs and such are in danger but the make kevelar vest to protect them.....but it just comes doww to personal opinion.

Happy Hunting

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Yes, it is VERY messed up. You're lucky to not have that problem where you live. =) Here it's not out of the ordinary at all to see a deer that's been hit on the side of the road with its head cut off. In fact, most of the deer I see that have been hit by cars are headless. And a lot of people go hunt but do nothing but salvage the head. It's a sick practice, and I am very, very against it. Be glad this isn't an issue for your town.

Well Tex, you know how I feel about hog hunting and I know we've had long discussions about this....for everyone's sake, I'm going to refrain from going into it. ^^ Lol. I've made my point and said what I want to say. I see the need for it, there's just certain methods I think could be improved. Anywho...happy hunting to all RESPONSIBLE hunters. =)

bigboytex

PLEASE Dont get in to that again but I know what u mean with the headless deer and its sad really sad but theres really not much anybody can do about it.

missouri gal

Oh, she is so right.....It happens all the time here!! I was on my way to my parents house the week before Christmas for a visit....what did I see??? At the Corner of an intersection, someone had killed 3 deer, cut off the heads, gutted them and dumped them all on the side of the highway!! Talk about a waste---wish I could have gotten ahold of them!!

About me disagreeing....not in the least...I know there are several different kinds of hunting--to each his own...I just wish I was strong enough to pull back a bow and hold it steady enough to shoot my target!! I applaud you...once again, you get a little higher in my eyes, Cowgirl!!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
^^ It takes a LOT of practice. I've been shooting for.....hmm....six or seven years now? I think. o-0 Anywho, you just have to work your way up starting with a light draw weight.
Aw, thank you!!! I'm so flattered. :dogblush:

luna may

Thanks, all of you, for being open-headed and looking at things from new perspectives. Since I live in the middle of the city, I've just never a deer or coyote in my life (exept for zoos, that is =P).
In my country, nobody hunts for food, both because of the law and culture, and also because it's pretty deserty arount here... If some hunter came around along, he could kill a dove mabe, or a hedgehog... Rabbits top =). I read in the news about a guy who shot gulls for fun... And they just fell into the water and drowned. Sadist wierdo '~'.
I'll try to be more tolerant to new ideas, even if I don't like them much, such as hunting.
Tx_cowgirl, thank you for your important remarks. I agree with you- as long as there's point in the killing, such as alimentation, and the killing is humane and the suffering is short and clean, then I think that the hunting is perfectly fine with me.
Still, I don't think i'll be doing it any thime soon :dogwink:.
Way to go, everybody!

luna may

That was me in one of my more burdensome replies... I'll be back to my silly self in no time :doglaugh:.

missouri gal

We all have our moments....sigh....Lol!!! He- He!! It takes so little to amuse me sometimes, too! LOL!!

Glad we all get along famously!!!
Where are you from, Luna??? LOVE your signature by the way!!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Yay, I feel accomplished. ^^ Isn't it nice to see such a controvertial issue end so peacefully? =) Kudos to everyone for replying so nicely. :dogbiggrin:

l_l_a

oh wow I've never seen a deer carcass on the road with its head cut off! It sounds like some ritualistic act!! I don't think I could handle it, but then again I'm a city gal where I only deal with meat that is already dead and somewhat processed!

My work place is located on the edge of an open space area (non-hunting), we often get deer wandering through our parking lot! When I leave work at night I often have to watch out for them as they like to stand in herds right in the middle of the road, sigh.

luna may

missouri gal;2600 said:
We all have our moments....sigh....Lol!!! He- He!! It takes so little to amuse me sometimes, too! LOL!!

Glad we all get along famously!!!
Where are you from, Luna??? LOVE your signature by the way!!
Thank you! :doglaugh:
I got found my siggy (I love the sound of it... Siggy siggy siggy... :LOL: I'm nuts and I know it :dogbiggrin:) in a great book I got for my birthday. It's called "dogs" by Adriano Bacchella, and it's basically a square little pack of photos with quotes on them... And it's all about dogs, of course :dogsmile:.
Highly reccomended!
About where I live... Hmmm... With this being the internet, I'm not sure how safe it is... Well, I live on planet earth, if you know what I mean ;).
I trust everyone in the DTA, but the thing is, there are also guests...
You understand, right?
Thanks again :doghappy:

By the way, here are some other quotes... I hope you'll like them!
"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies" (Gene Hill)
"Dog's lives are too short. Their only fault, really." (Agnes Sligh Turnbull)
"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too" (Samuel Butler)
"Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend" (Corey Ford)
"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of ihis tail" (Josh Billings)
"Even the tiniest Poodle or Chihuahua is still a wolf at heart" (Dorothy Hinshaw Patent)
"Stare into your dog's eyes and try to say that animals have no soul" (Victor Hugo)
"If you want the best seat in the house... Move the dog" (Anonymous)
"If your dog is too fat, you aren't getting enough exercise" (Anonymous)
"Dogs are obsessed with being happy" (James Thurber)
"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically, dogs think humans are nuts" (John Steinbeck)

By the way, the book looks quite cute and cuddly and inoccent, but it weights a bit over a pound! (Which doesn't stop it being just as cute and cuddly and inoccent as it looks though, Lol :doghappy: ).

Like people say, "there's a lot more from where this came from!" :doglaugh:
Want more? Feel free to ask :dogsmile:

Good day to you all! =)

k9player

Experienced Member
Luna May, I may get some more quotes from you sometime - They sound like great lines to pop into a Dog Club Newsletter (here and there).

bsmom

I'm "on the hunt" (pun well intended there!) for resources on birding, too! I can't wait to get my vizsla puppy out in the field! I just love watching him do things that HE instinctually loves :)

I'll keep watching this thread- keep us "posted" (I'm on quite the roll here...!) on what you find, and I promise to do the same!

:) bsmom

PS- It was great to see the reviews of this thread! I echo the sentiments of gratitude for everyone being so open-minded, AND I'm really excited to know that there are other female bowhunters in the DTA! Maybe between all of us we can arrange a few sporting exchange trips? (a javelina hunt down south for a whitetail one in Wisconsin?)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Ah! A fellow bowhunter! Lol, how exciting. :doglaugh: Do you shoot compound, longbow, recurve, or crossbow? I shoot compound. Javelina hunts, ooh! Fun. :dogsmile:

bsmom

I shoot a compound as well (being 5 ft tall and not nearly as strong as I'd like to be, I need the let-off of a cam!)- I've only shot at targets thus far, because I'm still a little shaky and I wouldn't want to risk causing undue suffering to a deer with a shot that was any less than clean... but I can't wait until all my practice pays off- both b/c I can finally feel confident enough to take my bow out into the field AND because of what it's doing for my biceps and delts! Maybe my ticket to fame is to make a bowhunting bootcamp exercise video!- HAHAHA ;)

If you ever have a spot open on a javelina hunt, keep me in mind!

:) bsmom

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol, I'm pretty rusty as far as hunting goes too. Although I've been shooting for years, I didn't really take an interest in hunting until about three or four years ago, but I haven't hunted much for a long list of reasons that I won't go into....
Anywho, oh yes archery does do wonders to your physique. ^^
Same here, as far as the hunts go! :dogsmile: