Votes: 1 6.7%
  • When needed

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MaryK

Honored Member
with Bella every few weeks, Zara was the same but for some reason shes just gone really unwilling to have them done. She even goes so far as to try to bite. Nothing bads happened to pin point why shes suddenly gone like this
Has anything happened, like her nails being trimmed too close? Or maybe they were 'pulled' a little when last clipped? That can so easily happen as their nails are darned tough to clip.

What I would do is take it very easily with her and click/treat her. Start with just handling her paws, no cutting, then work up, even if you have to do just one nail - click/treat and leave for a while. Maybe even a play between each nail. Sounds like you have to get her to realize that nail cutting isn't torture but fun.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
She was fine with having them lipped but one day she just started going to bite (shes generally becoming a more nippy dog anyway sadly) she's not had any nails cut too short or anything like that, where i can say this may be the reason

DaniG

Does Zara have really thick nails? Sometimes nail clipping can pinch the dogs with really thick nails - would she let you dremmel?

rouen

Experienced Member
Dingo hates, make that HATES having his nails done. IF I dont hold him he will bite out of fear. I've tried doing desensitization work with him, but it hasn't helped. So to do his nails I hold him upside down on my lap, rub his chest til he relaxes and start cutting it's a slow process with me stopping between each nail to rub his chest and tell him he's a good boy but it works.
Dasy usually chews her nails so I dont have to cut them, but even when I do she's fine with it.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
This is a pretty old thread, but I was interested because I have yet to trim Brody's claws. Our previous dog came to us at age 7 and her claws and quicks were so long they touched the floor and were pushed up. I used a trimmer, but I made her bleed every time. I got the Pedipaws (same as Peticure, I guess) for her and she tolerated it quite well. In the video it said to just do a little each day, and the quick will actually shrink back the closer you get to it. Kind of like how our fingernail beds get shorter over time if we bite our nails!
When we got Brody, his claws were so nice and short, I couldn't even see them. (Incidentally, he has all clear claws except for the outer one on each of his front paws, which is black. I think they are so adorable.) He won't let me near him with the clipper, and the sound of the Pedipaws totally freaks him out. Desensitizing is making little difference. I can squeeze his toes as if to clip only if I'm not holding the clipper. I can bring the clipper near and touch his toes with it as long as I am not holding his toes at the same time. His lovely short claws have pointy hooks on them now, but only on the front. The backs wear down from walking on sidewalks, etc. I was going to try the sandpaper on a board trick, but I've left it too long now. Actually, I suspect someone may have traumatized him when they removed his dewclaws, as they do not appear to have been professionally done. I wonder if they snipped them off with a nail trimmer?

sara

Staff member
Old threads are fun to resurrect though :)

I do Mouse and Boo's nails every three or 4 days... seriously! If they don't get done that often, they get too long. Even really short (right up to the quick) they click on the floor, so add any length at all and it's got to be uncomfortable for them (gotta love the dwarf legs!)

In the winter Oliver gets done every two weeks or so, but almost never in the summer. he wears his nails (all of them) playing ball and ripping around like a loon. I have to be careful as he'll wear his back nails down to bleeding. And yes, he does wear his dew claws down too. He's proof that they do use them!

MaryK

Honored Member
Old threads are fun to resurrect though :)

And yes, he does wear his dew claws down too. He's proof that they do use them!
Sara, curious what/how do dogs use their dew claws? I know vets here recommend having them removed, usually when de-sexing, but neither of my boys have had them removed and I do have to make sure they stay short.

sara

Staff member
Well, Oliver rips, leaps and spins around like mad when chasing his ball, he uses them when turning, I'm assuming. All I know is he wears his down very well :)

There's alot of info out there about sports/agility dogs needing them, and having a much higher rate of carpul problems/arthritis when they don't have them.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you very much Sara:) . That also explains why Ra Kismet's dew claws remain very short, whilst Zeus' grow like crazy. Rakins is like Oliver with his soccer ball but Zeus doesn't do anything so energetic:rolleyes: !

I will read further into this as it's a very important issue with vets promoting the removal of dew claws.

sara

Staff member
Thank you very much Sara:) . That also explains why Ra Kismet's dew claws remain very short, whilst Zeus' grow like crazy. Rakins is like Oliver with his soccer ball but Zeus doesn't do anything so energetic:rolleyes: !

I will read further into this as it's a very important issue with vets promoting the removal of dew claws.
Yes, it really is!

Honored Member
Holly uses her dew claws to hold onto chew toys. I have no idea if she uses them when running, I can't really see but she probably does.

Lewis had really long nails when we got him. He never got walked and they obviously didn't trim them. They are nice and short now :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Now you mention it
Yes, it really is!
Ra Kismet and Zeus both use their dew claws to hold toys. Funny didn't think about it until it come up here, just took it as a natural thing. Thank you Holly's Mom for reminding me.

So glad Lewis' nails are all lovely and short now, boy he must be so glad to have found his forever home with you:D

Ooopa hit the wrong reply button - sorry folks.

Sara, have been reading up on dewclaws and, never thought of this before, but understand why they are necessary. Also Ra Kismet is a very fast mover, he can really gallop, so explains why his dew claws are not really any bother and don't seem to 'grow long'.

Again hope you can work out my mistake. So sorry. Bit sleepy as it's after midnight again!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Sara, have been reading up on dewclaws and, never thought of this before, but understand why they are necessary. Also Ra Kismet is a very fast mover, he can really gallop, so explains why his dew claws are not really any bother and don't seem to 'grow long'.
I remember once as a child (won't say how long ago that was, but I think the Bee Gees were playing on my record player!) we had a dog that tore one of his dew claws on his choke collar. Yikes! All dogs wore those back then. Maybe that's why it became so popular to remove them?

MaryK

Honored Member
I remember once as a child (won't say how long ago that was, but I think the Bee Gees were playing on my record player!) we had a dog that tore one of his dew claws on his choke collar. Yikes! All dogs wore those back then. Maybe that's why it became so popular to remove them?
That's a very interesting thought, makes total sense. LOL O.K. you were in the cradle when the Bee Gees were playing you were a very advanced baby:LOL:

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I know back dew claws are (sometimes) removed (some dogs are born with them, some are not), as they seem to just dangle and can tear (I've had them removed from two of my dogs) but never had the front ones removed, and I can see where they'd be useful - altho truly hadn't thought a lot about it. :D

I trim my guys' nails every weekend - or they'd be suddenly long enough to paint scenes on them! :ROFLMAO: You'd think both these guys never left indoors and carpet the way their nails grow! And then there was my last GS girl, Heidi - I adopted her at about 15 mos old, and never trimmed her nails in the next 11 years I had her, and her nails were never long, she just always seemed to somehow keep them worn to just the right length. I guess they're just all so different the way they walk, play, etc.

MaryK

Honored Member
I've had the same thing with GSs Jackie. Maybe they just like to be 'different' and grow their nails:LOL: Rakins nails are always short, very short, but Zeus' can now he's older grow a bit longer and need trimming. He's very good though just accepts it all in his 'cool dude' way!

Hey maybe Makenna would like a spot of nail varnish - from a cruelty free company of course!:D

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Still haven't managed to trim Brody's. They are getting really pointy. He also tends to curly his toes down when he gives a paw, so you can really feel them. Or when he gets excited and puts his paws up on my back. A bad habit, I know. He doesn't do it nearly as much as he used to, but the claws are making it so much more annoying. I've never taken a dog to a groomer to get their claws done. How do they handle dogs who really don't like it? I think Brody would have to be muzzled, especially since he is so bad with new people and situations.