Home Remedies

mopar53190

I was wondering if anyone has tips for home remedies for anything and everything, Things you may have tried yourself or heard people using. This could be a helpful tool to all, as we all want to provide the best health for our dogs. What brought this idea about was this morning my dog had an upset stomach, I felt bad for her and did not want to take her to the vet, since this just happened and I'm sure it was just something she got into that the stray cats leave in my yard. I'm glad to say she is doing fine now, but I feel bad for any animal that is feeling under the weather.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of symptoms are you seeing? She might of just ate something outside, my husky has the nasty habit of eating grass in the summer and then wonder why she pukes later on..... Poor pup.

mopar53190

She was puking and had a wet stool. I think she ate something the stray cats left around that they picked through the garbage. I catch her eating bones once in a while left from the cats. She is her normal self now, she was just under the weather for about 3 hrs. I was just wondering about home remedies in the future. Like if your dog gets sprayed by a skunk. Wash her with tomatoe juice and a little lime juice.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Actually don't try tomato juice. They sell specific stuff for skunks at petstores which aren't going to stain your dog. My neighbor has a completely white dog and got sprayed by a skunk, and he thought that bathing it in tomato juice was the right thing to do. Well, he had a orange dog for like a month, and he said it still stunk.

mopar53190

That's pretty funny actually, poor dog, smells like a skunk and looks like a clown. I never thought about it staining. LOL

CollieMan

Experienced Member
There is the infamous ginger for travel sickness. We tried it once with Ellie. It did prevent her from throwing up in the car, but I was up several times in the night tending to her diarrhea. - it was REALLY bad Suffice to say, I'd rather have the travel sickness!

bipa

We had a bit of trouble with travel sickness. I asked the vet, and he looked at me funny and told me not to feed the dog several hours before travel. Sometimes we overlook the obvious. Of course, that only works for short trips, like a few hours in the car. Thankfully our dog grew out of it, or else just got used to car trips after I started taking her everywhere with me on errands and shopping.

I tend to be careful about using home remedies and will give my vet a quick call before trying anything that I feel might be questionable. A good pet store owner will also be able to help with advice about various over-the-counter remedies that are available. There are also a few books out there, but as I haven't read them, I don't feel comfortable recommending any.

In general, though, be very careful about using any sorts of medication or creams made for humans. You might think that a little ointment on a cut will help, but if the dog licks the ointment then you might have an even greater problem on your hands.

When in doubt, check it out... with your vet!

luna may

LOL... A stained dog? I didn't even know it could happen! Poor little guy :doglaugh:
Imagine having a flock of sheep sprayed by a skunk and washed in juice... Free orange wool for a whole season :dogwink:
I once saw a picture of two white Poodles sprayed pink and green.... It totally freaked me out :D

marieke

I know parsley helps against bad breath (also good for people after a garlicy meal). But you'll have to find a way to trick your dog into eating it.

storm22

Experienced Member
flower of sulphar is good on cuts or sores storm ripped just under his dew claw about 2 weeks ago, with some antibiotics and hosing it (reduces heat and swelling in horses too) then the powder its healing nicely

ilove_ewok

marieke;2839 said:
I know parsley helps against bad breath (also good for people after a garlicy meal). But you'll have to find a way to trick your dog into eating it.

Hahah, I know my dog would eat absolutely ANYTHING, so now worries about that :doglaugh: Thanks for the tip, I gotta try that one out :doghappy:

ambercecelia

a dog came in to my yard with a very bad case of mange. its so sad i couldn't turn her away and the animal shelter wouldn't help me because she is a pit.i have no money at all and i don't want the shelter to put her to sleep! does anyone know of any home remidies to treat and to get rid of the mange? may be something that can sooth her itching? or something she can eat to help her? anything please!!:msncry:

ambercecelia

i need help with a strey dog that came into my yard and has very bad mange. i have posted several things already in different places in here but i have had no luck. i need some home remidies to help her due to lack of money help me if you know something that works

ambercecelia

mopar53190;1586 said:
I was wondering if anyone has tips for home remedies for anything and everything, Things you may have tried yourself or heard people using. This could be a helpful tool to all, as we all want to provide the best health for our dogs. What brought this idea about was this morning my dog had an upset stomach, I felt bad for her and did not want to take her to the vet, since this just happened and I'm sure it was just something she got into that the stray cats leave in my yard. I'm glad to say she is doing fine now, but I feel bad for any animal that is feeling under the weather.
HEY I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET SOME ONE TO ANSWER MY QUESTION AND I HAVE HAD NO LUCK THIS IS MY FIRT TIME ON THIS SITE AND I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE HELPFUL TO ME SO I WOULD LEARN SOMETHING ON HOW TO HELP MY DO BUT ITS LOOKING LIKE I AM GOING TO HAVE TO LOOK ELCE WHERE JUST PLEASE NEVER NEVR USE BURNT MOTER OIL!!! I'M NOT YELLING MY CAPS IS STUCK ON LOL

ambercecelia

thanks at least you read it and cared enough to try and help me out. do you know of anyone boiling pine needles and using the water to treat mange?
ambercecelia