Hiccups

bellapup

I've noticed that Bella can sometimes get hiccups, and I'm not sure what brings them on or what I can do for her. They don't seem to hurt her but I've heard that there can be a condition sometimes that may be harmful if not treated.

I asked the vet about them and she didn't seem too concerned, she said to try changing her food. I feed her Science Diet right now, but before we had that food, she used to hiccup as well. They don't last for too long, but I want to know if I should be concerned.

disceptre

my dog used to hiccup all the time. several times a day. seems like she just grew out of it or something because she hasnt done it in a while. maybe it was the food because it has been changed

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
With all the dogs I've seen, it's kind of a puppy thing. Rusty and Zeke both went through a bit of a hiccupping phase when they were pups, but the hiccupps never lasted long and never seemed to hurt. Many puppies that I've known got the hiccupps occasionally. Mudflap burps quite frequently. The vet says it's nothing to worry about, but every now and then she'll be wandering through the house and we hear a funny sounding belch. Of course, we all know it's just Mud being her ladylike self...but the visitors sure do give us some funny looks. xDD

bellapup

*LOL* I'm just picturing Bella walking around burping. Can dogs burp cutely? :doghappy:

Thanks for the info, I feel a little better knowing it's probably just a phase. They definitely don't seem to hurt her. As a matter of fact, I suddenly got a case of the hiccups last night. Bella looked at me very sympathetically.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
xD Lol. Well Mud's aren't necessarily cute really...just kind of a gurgly sound. Rusty, Zeke, and Nick don't burp or hiccup at all. Z got the hiccups quite often when he was a pup but it was a phase and didn't last long.