Hi

How old is your dog that you are training?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Ripley is two and 1/2. But Border Collies I have previously owned (sadly now departed) were still 'training' up to the age of 16, but by that age it was when they wanted to do something, it was more that they knew when they were up to practising something and wanting to still work a bit to keep them happy!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
We guesstimate our dog is now about 5 or 6 years old now, but, we could be way way off, who knows? Buddy won't say how old he is.....The vet said Buddy was too malnourished to make accurate guesses, really, and the vet said, pen in hand---------

"How old do you WANT Buddy to be?" so we said, "only One year old, so we can live with Buddy for a long long time."

and the vet marked down, "One year old he is!":ROFLMAO:

so now ----------our dog is "about five or six" :ROFLMAO: but he could be ten, who knows.

I think dogs of any age can learn.
Any age at all.

Even geezer dogs can learn new tricks. (but, one may have to choose less stenuous tricks if the elderly dog has any arthritis or other limitations, but, his mind is still ready to go!)

Some ppl here think some puppies can be more challenging to train than adult dogs, for some things anyway. Some ppl think an adult dog can settle down and focus better, and has more self control,
than some puppies can.
but, DTA has some pretty amazing puppies around here, too!!:ROFLMAO:

i also think any breed of dog, or mutts, can learn tricks, too. Any breed at all.
I THINK ALL DOGS CAN LEARN TRICKS!! Some dogs might need some training-tweaking to find the method that works best for that particular dog,
but, all dogs can learn tricks and cues.

bekah1001

Honored Member
My dogs are 3,4 and 5 :) Brody probably picks things up pretty fast but my old dog Manny, who is now 2, was really smart and probably was able to preform a trick that was taught in just 5 minute.

Snuggles

tigerlily-- I agree. Any age and breed of dog can learn. :)
P.S. Some breeds may be harder to train but they can do it with lots praise and love. Dachshunds are a little harder to train than some breeds but I have taught mine to do all kinds of things (you can look at my information page for a list of the things he can do). He is stubborn some times but he eventually gets it. :)

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Mine are 2 and nearly 12 years old. I'm finding my oldest only really learns from luring mostly. Haven't done any trick training before so she's not use to have to think to earn a treat. usually a waved paw got one shes confused why that no longer works lol.

Snuggles

Mine are 2 and nearly 12 years old. I'm finding my oldest only really learns from luring mostly. Haven't done any trick training before so she's not use to have to think to earn a treat. usually a waved paw got one shes confused why that no longer works lol.

Wow you train dogs of different ages too. That is great!!! I watched the videos of your dog. He/she was awesome!! I loved the say your prayers trick.
Amazing. :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//Haven't done any trick training before so she's not use to have to think to earn a treat.//

ah, here we go again...."lured" dogs don't "think".:rolleyes: lol, we went round about this one last week on some other thread.:ROFLMAO:

if that was true, once you removed the treat, the dog would no longer do the cue. O_o

*sigh*.

also, it's possible, if this older dog got all the training time that the younger dog gets, who knows? if older dog might also be able to learn by shaping, targetting, if given that kind of time, too.
And i've never been able to fully grasp how a dog trained to follow a piece of paper, is "thinking" more than a dog following a bit of food.
but, whatever.

who knows. the older dog is more the family dog, right? but the younger dog is "your" very own dog, so, it's easy to see how that younger dog is your main focus. and you have done fabulous job on both dogs, just marvelous!!