Hi and happy holidays from Canada

jmariet

I just adopted a dog that flunked out of guide dog school after a year of training. We fostered her for a year so even though we were sad she didn't make it after looking so promising for so long we were happy to welcome her home. Her issue was dog distraction. She just loves other dogs too much!! Now that she's ours we are free to teach her any old trick we want and to use treats (which we couldn't when we fostered her). How fun is that??:dogbiggrin: She was never allowed to play with a ball before so tennis balls are all over our house now.
I also foster a dog destined to be a service dog so she is trained to do all kinds of neat things like turn on the light and open doors etc. She's especially good at retrieving, which will be one of her most important jobs.

Glad to have found this site and looking forwards to learning how to train my dog to do lots of neat tricks.

JMarie

leema

Why exactly do you want your dog to not be distracted by others? Is it because she is too strong on lead? Is it because you want her to do tricks/etc around other dogs?

So - loose leash walking or attention? Or both?

jmariet

Why exactly do you want your dog to not be distracted by others? Is it because she is too strong on lead? Is it because you want her to do tricks/etc around other dogs?
I don't have a problem personally with her being distracted by dogs but as a guide dog she would have needed to be totally focused on her partner and where they were going. Now that she's ours she can meet as many dogs as she wants. ;)