Herding Help? Books?

Pawbla

Experienced Member
I have to write a final monograph on any dog theme I like. I need to cover something broad, so I was thinking about maybe herding dogs? It's something I know nothing of, so it'd be interesting for learning. First I thought about agility but the material was hard to get since it was all on DVD.
I'll be interviewing a couple of people about this. But I wanted to know, does anybody have any good book recommendation on the subject? If it's in e-book format, better, because we've been having an awful time shipping books to the country. There is information on the Internet but I don't think it'll be enough. I've been reading about it and it's all kind of scarce.
Thanks!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
We have some members here who train their dogs to herd. Fly30 is one of them, i don't know if she knows of a book to recommend, but, she does train her dogs to herd.
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/members/fly30.10731/

She is super nice, and great trainer, maybe you could ask her if she knows of a book. Also, if you are interested in seeing some dogs herding, she has posted some interesting videos of her dogs at work. If you click on Fly's page, and look at her "postings", you might find many of HER postings quite interesting.

fly30

Experienced Member
Oh I've been away for so long ! I'm sorry. I changed my job and this was quite time consumming. But we still go herding !!! I'm going tomorrow again. I have no idea about books but I know some exist. The only thing I can say about herding is go and try. You'll discover your dog as he really is. There is something magic about herding with a border collie. By the way, Pawbla, your border collie looks gorgious !

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I know, i'd need real life,
hands-on, "right beside me" herding-trainer to even begin to learn how to teach Buddy to properly herd. :ROFLMAO: I am in awe of Fly!!