Hello from virginia

carbana

HI we are 2 aussies form Virginia are names are Duffy and Bunny . Duff is the oldest just about to turn 5 bunny is just about to turn 1. But we've only had her for about 2 months. We are having some problems with her just little ones like her getting so excited from seeing other people she jumps up and pees everywhere. I'm trying to socialize her so she won't do it anymore but nothing seems to be working. Any advice would be appreciated. Carla Bunny and Duffy :dogtongue:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
carbana;796 said:
HI we are 2 aussies form Virginia are names are Duffy and Bunny . Duff is the oldest just about to turn 5 bunny is just about to turn 1. But we've only had her for about 2 months. We are having some problems with her just little ones like her getting so excited from seeing other people she jumps up and pees everywhere. I'm trying to socialize her so she won't do it anymore but nothing seems to be working. Any advice would be appreciated. Carla Bunny and Duffy :dogtongue:
Hi Carbana!

:welcome: to the Dog Trick Academy! I wish you tons of fun training your dogs to do tricks, maybe in the future you'll get them to do tricks together! :dogbiggrin:

You mentioned that your dog jumps up on people and pees everywhere, could you be more specific? Does she jumps on you, or only on people she encounters during your walks? Where does she pee? Is it always in the same location?

And what exactly have you been doing to try to stop fix the situations? Your older dog is five years old, so I assume you have done some training with him?

carbana

She pees when she gets excited like when someone touchs her she wiggles all over her body. Sometimes she tries to jump up on me like when I let her in from the back yard when I get home from work. But not very often. She is potty trained she doesn't go in the house. When we go to the dog park people there love her and I've been trying to get them not to let her jump up on them but its hard so many people. She calms down after like 15 min but I'm constantly on her telling her to get down not yelling cause I would look like a pshyco. But I'm kinda of embarassed when she does it I apologize constantly.

She is a good dog except for that. She comes when she is called. She can sit and lay down. I'm working on stay but she always wants to be with us so its werid. My other dog I had since he was four weeks old he was difficut in the beginning but its been so long since I've had to train anything. I've bought some books and read online. But I think she is just so high energy. We just got her spayed like 4 days ago. So we are going back to the training routine this weekend when she feels better. And I just wanted to know what someone thought. I've had dogs all my life but never one that did this. I've never seen a dog get so excited about seeing people.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Dogs jumping up is a huge problem with a lot of dogs, but you should understand that dogs actually greet and initiates play sessions by jumping all over each other. So it is normal for them to do it, but it's not so much fun for us.

The best way to fix this problem is to teach your dog that she has to sit to be greeted. Since your dog does not necessarily jump on you often, you will need a partner to train her.

A very good way to train her is by placing your dog in a sit position in front of a fence, or baby gate. Your partner can then walk over to your dog and greet her. If your dog stands up your partner should immediately turn his back to your dog and walk away. Once your dog sits down, your partner can return to greet him. It won't take long before your dog learns that he has to sit to get any kind of attention from the stranger.

Keep your dog on a leash so that he doesn't jump over the fence. This may take a while to train since your dog has been reinforced for jumping up. My husky had the bad habit of jumping up on people, and what I've noticed is that people continue to talk in a cheerful manner and pet the dog even though the dog has just jumped on them.

Eventually, once your dog learns to sit to be greeted, you can remove the gate and start over doing the same exercise. Try doing this in your backyard, outside, or on your walks. Eventually you can even have planned interractions where you may go meet someone at the park who is there to help you train your dog. The more often you do this with a partner, the quicker your dog will learn.

As for your dog peeing for being overly excited, I believe the sitting exercise will help with that also. Since she will have to be more in control of herself by sitting to be greeted, it might keep her in a calmer state.

I hope this helps.