has anyone had success with tellington t touch?

josiebell

I'm about to have a couple of sessions with someone who trains alternative behaviour with the tellington t touch method.

I'm particularly keen to try to tame Duke's dog aggession and have sort of looked into this method. I can see clearly how it would make my relationship so much deeper between me and my dog. However, the sessions are very expensive but to me it seems that even if it does not cure any unwanted behaviour I can only benefit.

I'd love to know anyone who has had any success with this, what ever the behaviour, and what people think.

Secretly I'm quite excited, but my other half is so sceptical and will not have it that Duke has a problem. He just says he is being a dog doing what dogs do. I don't agree and will not take him out without his muzzle on. Although he has not physically hurt another dog, their owners, quite rightly, have been upset at this big lunging GSD bounding up to jump and play with their dogs. I'd rather know that I am certain that nothing untoward will happen.

Anyway, any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

cppugs

I have never tried it with aggression, I have used it for nervous, stressed dogs and for bonding. When done right, it works great. You can see dogs start relaxing, then just melt. Once they know what you are doing, all you have to do is assume the position and they are ready for you! LOL As for aggression, I am not sure how it would help.
Charleen

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
As far as I know, T Touch is not to be used as the sole method of fixing behavior problems...but, it is fantastic for any dog! A dog on edge is a behavior problem waiting to happen, therefore T Touch helps them RELAX which is great. Of course being "edgy" is not the only reason for behavior problems, but my point is simply that a relaxed dog is a happy dog. It's good for them physically and mentally. I think it'd be good for you to use it before and after you know you will be encountering dogs. The T Touch(before and after dog encounters) will feel good to him and will help him begin to have a more positive association with dogs. The T Touch should not be used as a reward after a bad dog encounter, however. If you don't want to delve into something that you aren't sure about, you might consider getting some books on it rather than going to the sessions. This will help you, and you can try some of the simple things the books suggest. If they help, then you can decide whether or not the sessions are worth it. Make sure Duke is calm and relaxed before you leave the house, that way he's not all worked up and expecting to get to play with other dogs. Carry around his leash at random times so he knows that he's not going out every time you pick it up. Jingle your keys, walk in and out of the door with or without him--anything that sets him off, do it randomly and not just when he's going out. This way, he doesn't know exactly when he's going for a walk and he doesn't get worked up. T Touch will help him relax as well, and I am a huge fan of it. I really love it. Look for books on Amazon or at any local bookstore. T Touch is also widely used in the horse world, so check for horse books as well. They should give you a better idea of how to use it and what it is.
I've used it for many years now, although not as a means of fixing behavior problems. I use it simply because the dogs and horses love it, and it's great for them. Massage techniques of almost any kind help prevent injuries and can help any current injuries the animal may have. Along with that, they FEEL GOOD! Lol. Hope this helps, and good luck to you and Duke! :dogsmile:

landseer

Hello Homer,
there aren't so man links in the Web about tellington T Touch. The best thing is to buy her book. It's very pleasant to read. You'll find many info and hints there. My Chantal likes the touch on her ears and the one on the outside part of her mouth. It's not the whole solutions to problems with dogs but it helps much.