Friese Stabij - Dutch breed

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Thanks for that. When I read your introduction, I went off and read up on the breed, as I'd never heard of them before. For me, I see both spaniel and setter in them.

marieke

You're right about that. I don't know about the setter but it's commonly accepted that the spaniel is where they probably originated from.

marieke

I see what you mean. There's one with a very simulair head like Guus. They're also gorgeous dogs by the way with very friendly faces.

I also love your Ellie, I think she's very cute. I read somewhere that you think she's "ugly" in a way that she's not your typical BC. But she's the type of dog that I would choose if looks was all that mattered: lean, high on legs, short hair). I actually wanted a BC, my parents have one. But my boyfriend doesn't like him (he's not well socialized) and was afraid all BC are like my parents dog.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Stabyhouns are neat...this is another name for them, right? That's what they look like to me... Very hard to find around here. Good dogs, though. =)

marieke

That's what they're called too: stabyhound of in Dutch: stabijhoun (that's Friesian really). The real Dutch word would be stabijhond. The Frisians have their own language.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Love at first sight. Maybe one day I'll have a stabyhoun... :D:)

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how tall are they? I just didn't find it anywhere. (I must be blind).

marieke

szecsuani;6900 said:
Love at first sight. Maybe one day I'll have a stabyhoun... :D:)

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how tall are they? I just didn't find it anywhere. (I must be blind).
I think they are supposed to be around 40-45 cm, not too big and not too small.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
marieke;6907 said:
I think they are supposed to be around 40-45 cm, not too big and not too small.
Then I think I have found the perfect breed for me! :D
But I bet that there are no stabyhouns here in hungary. :msncry:

But I don't think I'll have a second dog in 3 years, so I have lots of time to find some... :D