Extending Duration -- 'sit Pretty'

freedomdreams

Hey everyone!

So, one of the tricks that I started Kilo off with right away aside from sit, is Sit pretty. The reason why I've done this is because it was something he naturally already started to do prior to learning sit because he wanted his treats. I have had dogs in the past that were already adults and just wouldn't learn this trick- so I wanted to take the opportunity to teach Kilo this right away since he was still smaller and not have issues later on with him regaining his balance.

Now, He's doing great with it, but some times he holds it longer than others, and I am just wondering how have you gone about extending the duration of this trick to eventually the dog not releasing until you give them permission?

I'm just looking for some helpful pointers in regards to this, as I'm rewarding him for any effort which he gives me, but i'm thinking I should have higher expectations since he can hold it for a decent duration already.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Hey everyone!

So, one of the tricks that I started Kilo off with right away aside from sit, is Sit pretty. The reason why I've done this is because it was something he naturally already started to do prior to learning sit because he wanted his treats. I have had dogs in the past that were already adults and just wouldn't learn this trick- so I wanted to take the opportunity to teach Kilo this right away since he was still smaller and not have issues later on with him regaining his balance.

Now, He's doing great with it, but some times he holds it longer than others, and I am just wondering how have you gone about extending the duration of this trick to eventually the dog not releasing until you give them permission?

I'm just looking for some helpful pointers in regards to this, as I'm rewarding him for any effort which he gives me, but i'm thinking I should have higher expectations since he can hold it for a decent duration already.
Try having a little bit of peanut butter on a spoon, and when he is in sit pretty position hold it above his head and let him lick it, and continue to let him lick it when he is in that position, but as soon as he stops sitting pretty stop letting him lick it. That will cause him to want to be in that position for as long as possible. Once he has longer duration doing that, you could switch to treating periodically while he is in the position. So, have him sit pretty, give him a treat while he's in sit pretty, wait a moment, give him another treat while he is in sit pretty, and keep doing that until he stops sitting pretty. Make sure he gets no reward after sitting pretty, only while sitting pretty, that way he won't want to stop and (hopefully) will sit pretty for a longer duration. Also remember that the muscles do take time to develop, so he won't be able to sit pretty for a really long period of time right away, it may take a little while.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
With puppies, their bodies are not fully developed, so you have to be careful about requiring duration in unnatural positions. In order for his muscles to strengthen, you need to provide support for his weight, so try getting him to perform the behavior in a corner or between your legs as you squat on the floor, with him facing away. This way, he will be able to feel secure if he starts to slide or tip over, and you can continue feeding him treats for staying upright.