Doggie Bootcamp

bekah1001

Honored Member
Here is the story. My brother went to Calgary to work and decided to move there. He is to busy working so he is unable to take Jenny. So guess who has a new dog...me! The thing is, she needs a lot of training, she's hyper, barky, and reactive and only knows how to sit, and lie down. Her stay and recall aren't that strong. She loves food and to play but she can be overexcited about food and not focus at all. She needs a complete doggie bootcamp. I need a little help in where to start and what to focus on first. Any suggestions?

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Kudos to you for taking on this 'project' dog. Since you've worked so much with your own dog, it's good to remember that every individual dog has to 'learn to learn' i.e. each dog needs to learn to be taught, that she can earn rewards through her learned acts, etc. Personally I was very frustrated when I adopted Calvin as he'd never been taught anything (he was a nice, gentle puppy so no one had bothered!) .... it was some time before he caught on to the training 'game.'

I think an exercise program sounds perfect. I'd also work on self-control behaviors like Zen and Stay. When you work on these types of behaviors, remember to separate the two "D"s -- duration and distance. Don't ask a dog to stay for a minute while you're 10 ft away. Work on duration (how long) and then add distance, and don't be surprised that once you add distance, you go from being able to get a 30 second stay to rushing to click/treat for a 2 second stay!

Good luck and keep us posted!

bekah1001

Honored Member
Had my first training session today, we worked on doggie zen/ it's yer choice. She did really well with leaving an open hand around mid level, up high, and low to the ground. She also did well when out it on my knee. I only did it for a couple of a couple of seconds each time. Im thinking of making a blog any name suggestions :p

SD&B

Experienced Member
Had my first training session today, we worked on doggie zen/ it's yer choice. She did really well with leaving an open hand around mid level, up high, and low to the ground. She also did well when out it on my knee. I only did it for a couple of a couple of seconds each time. Im thinking of making a blog any name suggestions :p
Sounds like you're doing a great job. Maybe all she ever needed was some time.

How about "Jenny's Journey" for your blog name. Is it about Jenny?