Dogcatch!

Anneke

Honored Member
So my frisbee instructor gave me some homework. I have to do the "dogcatch":confused:
Here a vid to show you what we are supposed to do...

When I looked at it, I thought, we can do this... But when I actually started, it proved to be very, very hard!!! Jinx has an awesome flip, but I find it hard to step in at the right time and touch her...
I have been trying to make her flip closer to me, so it would be easier to catch her, but she won't do it then.
Oh my, this is a challenge!! But it is fun to figure it out and it would be so awesome if we could nail this!
This afternoon I'll see if my instructor has any idea's on how to get this.

Anneke

Honored Member
Ok I just found this vid. I think Jinx flips more like this. She doesn't move towards me as much as the dog in the vid, but She does kick her body like that...
He does a dogcatch at the end, so I'll have to see if I can do it this way...

Mutt

Experienced Member
The dog in the first video is so controlled, it is almost if he floats through the air! He sure makes it seem easy in the first video.

No advice from me as I don't do dog frisbee, but good luck with it!

barnhill

Experienced Member
I have stopped doing dog catches with Bokeh. He flips so high and actually comes right towards me when he does it, however he hates being caught. He actually reads when I set up for a dog catch during a flip and then refuses to flip. I didnt want him to stop flipping all together so I just stopped trying to catch him.

Tempest so far loves being caught so I will be working more with her on these alot as she gets older.

Good luck and have fun!

Anneke

Honored Member
Well, we have decided to leave this dogcatch for now. I will keep working on it, but we won't put it in my routine.
I will need a lot of time to get this.
Instead we are turning the jump into my arms trick into a dogcatch.
I throw the frisbee up and Jinx jumps into my arms while grabbing the frisbee. We nailed that twice tonight, she needs to get used to holding on to the frisbee when I grab her. But like I said, she did it right twice.
After all we are just novice level and the flip to dogcatch is advanced. We don't need to make things more complicated than neccessary:LOL:

barnhill

Experienced Member
Sounds like a good plan!

If you want to see the Dog Catch Master look up Tracy Custer on YouTube. She has been playing a while so I am only sure of her more recent routines, but she uses dog ctaches alot so you might get some ideas from her.

Evie

Experienced Member
Only a month late to this thread!!!

How are you going with it now Anneke?

I'd be quite interested in trying to teach this to Evie although it looks like Evie jumps the same way Jinx does.... that and I've never done any Frisbee work with her before. Could be fun! Evil jumps into my arms happily enough, and she'll either love or absolutely HATE me catching her in mid air..

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I would love to teach Chloe this, or even just jump into my arms, but Chloe hates being held. Do you think it would be possible to condition her to like being held? At the moment I can go in and pick her up once, but as soon as I set her down she flips on her back so I can't pick her up again.

barnhill

Experienced Member
I taught Bokeh by Feeding him while I was holding him. Even when he was a puppy he would jump straight up when it was time to eat. So I just caught him, game him some food and then put him down and he would immediately jump up again for food. I then added a command, I used "boing" and then started saying that. Now boing means to jump up. Now during disc he HATES being caught so I dont do it at all.

Tempest loves being held so she was all about it. She was jumping from day one so I never actually had to teach her either. LOL I just have jumpy dogs I guess.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Thanks
I taught Bokeh by Feeding him while I was holding him. Even when he was a puppy he would jump straight up when it was time to eat. So I just caught him, game him some food and then put him down and he would immediately jump up again for food. I then added a command, I used "boing" and then started saying that. Now boing means to jump up. Now during disc he HATES being caught so I dont do it at all.

Tempest loves being held so she was all about it. She was jumping from day one so I never actually had to teach her either. LOL I just have jumpy dogs I guess.
Thanks, I'll try feeding her while she's in my arms.