Dog Scooters

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hi!

Has any of you have any experience with Dog Scooters? I am thinking of buying one, although this is probably not the right time of year, being pretty close to winter. :)

I'm thinking that this could really be fun for my husky, she loves to run and pull.

There are a few models that I think would be worth my consideration:

Pawtrekker Disc Break model.

I like the design on this one (the dog is attached to the front of the scooter). But the price is a steep $490 Canadian.

Diggler Dirt Dawg

This one is more affordable at $199 USD. But apparently it is for kids and not for anyone above 5'3".

Diggler Alpha Dawg

Again this one looks promising, but with a steep price of $499 USD.

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with any of these models. I really don't feel like spending that kind of money on something I don't even know if I like. Urgh. I will most likely wait until the spring, maybe the prices will come down.

They say that a scooter is cheaper than a bike. Well, I can get a bike for a hell of a lot less than $500. :(

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I had no idea how the dog fitted in to the equation until I visited one of the websites. I've never seen or used one, but they sure do look fun! :)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah they even sell some electric ones so that the dog does not have to constantly pull you. I guess that would be great if your dog is not a strong puller. But those are a lot more expensive.

ruffmuttk9z

I have a Diggler DSK, Jean, and I love it. The only difference between the Alpha Dawg and the DSK is the disc breaks, but with dogs pulling the scooter, I would NOT settle for regular bike breaks, no way! The harnesses I use are the X-backs from Alpine Outfitters.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Ha, this looks quite fun for both dog and owner but uh...well I have terrible balance unless you stick me on a horse, and even though my boys would LOVE this, I'd probably fall right over!! Haha. Never did take an interest in bike/scooter riding. I was always happy with my 4-legged horses. Lol! :)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
That looks like so much fun... I guess I will have to start saving up for next spring. The model that I want (disc brakes) is rather expensive. Maybe they'll have a special during the winter. ;)

ruffmuttk9z

I like the looks of that Paw Trek model. The way they've designed the front end the ganglines wouldn't be able to get caught in the front wheel, which can be a big problem for inexperienced dogs that don't understand that they must keep tension in the lines constantly. Also, hills can present a problem as far as gangline tangles.

snooks

Experienced Member
You are correct that the pawtrekker does have a brushbow (that line guard fender) on the front. I spent a lot of time trying to decide between the two then I saw a vid of the pawtrekker in action. Note his left foot has to be held in place by the rider on the frame, there is no room for it beside or behind his other foot.

[media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VEpj48CYFMY[/media]

Diggler has developed a brushbow and actually has some test models out. There is a patent fight going on with pawtrekker so the Diggler bike a few months ago was not for general sales. It may be now though, calling is the best way to decide. Diggler has a lot of scooter/snowboard nuts there that are very knowledgeable. There won't be any long rides on a pawtrekker with you having room to shift weight and put both feet comfortably on the foot board on a trekker. If you plan to push a lot that might be okay. Call Diggler as they may have more available than is updated on the website.

The Diggler is a performance snowboard on a heavy duty mountain bike frame so there is plenty of room for both feet and a variety of riding stances. There is a gangline gizmo to prevent tangling available from dogscooter.com who sells the pawtrekker but their service was horrible, it was not worth the $40 I paid for it. It didn't arrive for over a month. The pdf I bought to help in training I couldn't get because their laptop had been stolen. Was my credit card info in there??? They were nice but I think it's just a very small company so would rec going elsewhere.

The gangline can still get caught in the wheel with brushbow protector. You can use a kids' pool noodle for $5 and put it on the gangline and knot it in place a few inches down from the connection. The Diggler guy actually told me about this, they were helpful and no pressure. There is an attached thumbnail at bottom u can click with a picture of the gangline gizmo to give you an idea what you can do with a noodle.

The noodle prevents the line getting near the brushbow or wheel no matter which scooter you have. Regardless which scooter I got I would use a noodle or similar.

So after dealing with dogscooter.com which sells the pawtrekker and realizing that they are a very small company such that one stolen laptop drives all sales to a stop I advise caution. I couldn't immediately download the pdf I bought either and it was just irritating. I've put a caution on my credit card because of all that. The Diggler guys were professional, very nice, had loads of cheap suggestions, and knew their equipment. Most of the extreme sports guys I read blogs and etc about preferred the Diggler. The Diggler is more expensive esp if you opt for the disk brakes and heavy duty suspension. I do suggest going for the larger tires. Ask about the stem riser if you are very tall the handle bars need to be higher for you. For some models you might not need it. Also get the fenders or you will be filthy. Happy safe scootering. :)

BTW you guys probably know this but a young dog or puppy should not be pulling a scooter. Be totally safe and wait until the dog reaches maturity and gets an OFA or PennHIP to be sure the joints are sound and there is no hip or elbow dysplasia. Young dogs also should not be running long distances on hard surfaces, like roads until they are mature enough for the bony growth plates in their legs to stop growing.

snooks

Experienced Member
I just saw that someone came out with another gangline tangle preventor that looks nice.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
This is a pretty old thread, but I figured I'd bump it up due to spring coming soon and dogs will be in need of exercise!!

sara

Staff member
Good idea as I didn't see it before, and I'm wanting to work with Oliver on pulling sports. Thanks jean!

rouen

Experienced Member
Carting is another alternative. I had considered in the past purchasing a sulky cart, but my two are too small. I've already stated on these boards that Dingo and I thoroughly enjoy cycling together.
I am thinking about starting Dasy in bikejoring/scootering once we move, thats a few months off yet though.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Wow, that does look fun! I never knew that there were Scooters made specifically for dogs to pull. What are the differences between Dog Scooters and regular Scooters?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that does look fun! I never knew that there were Scooters made specifically for dogs to pull. What are the differences between Dog Scooters and regular Scooters?
I think you can get some with a place to hook your dog line at the front instead of wrapping around the bar, I believe some models have a fender on the front to avoid the line from getting stuck in the wheel, and some come with disc brakes instead which are stronger than the normal bicycle breaks.

rouen

Experienced Member
Really no dog is too small. I know someone who scooters with their boston terrier(started with 1, now have 3). As long as you dont make the dog supply all the power any dog can do it.
Dingo's definately no where near the size of a GSD, his last weigh in he was 28lbs and he loves biking.