Dog is afraid of clicker

jaym

I would like to use the clicker to train my 6 year old shepherd cross, but he appears to be intimidated by it. I follow the lesson plan to introduce the sound and food reward, but tails goes between his legs and he skulks off. This from a dog who is afraid of NOTHING!! Any idea??:msncry:

CollieMan

Experienced Member
One option is to get a clicker with a variable volume slider. I use one. Not intentionally, I should say, it just happened to have one. I keep mine on full all the time, but it can be adjusted to produce a softer click.

Failing that, remember, the clicker is just a marker. You can use any sound you like, so long as you use it consistently. You could even make a "pop" sound with your mouth. Anything really.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Try to muff the sound by putting it in your pocket or in a towel. He'll come around to the sound :)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again! Please make sure that you give him something that he wants after - the best treat that you can find! Some cheese treats come to mind! :)

And if you haven't already done so - please read my and practice the exercise listed.

addictinganimal

You could also start in a loud environment. Yeah, it sorta goes against the whole "start-in-a-quiet-room" idea, but with a bunch of other distractions, maybe it won't seem so threatening. :dogsmile:

Good luck!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
And eventually you will be able to use the clicker to condition your dog to be comfortable around noises - I have done this with the agility teeter/seesaw which scared my dog when she heard the noise.

:)

l_l_a

my dog was initially afraid of the clicker, but clicking it while in my pocket made it muffled, and pairing it with good treats, got him to love the sound of the clicker within 10 minutes!