Dna Test Results

DuncansMom

I bought the Wisdom Panel DNA test because it had good reviews and I was tired for having no answer to the constant question, "Your dog is so handsome, what breed is he?"
When we adopted Duncan from OBG Cocker Spaniel Rescue, we were told that he was a Border Collie/ Spaniel mix. Many people have told us he looks like a Springer Spaniel because of the spots on his legs.
We got the DNA test results today and he is almost completely Mutt :)
His only purebred ancestor was a great grandparent who was...a whippet! They also thought he might possibly have a great grandparent who was half Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but they said this wasn't highly reliable. No Spaniels or Collies were anywhere in any of his ancestor's breeds.

Duncan is a medium-sized black and white Mutt with floppy ears, a big fluffy tail and a little Whippet waist. He thinks he is a Husky:

We think he is the best dog in the world!

Have any of you done DNA testing?

Attachments

Anneke

Honored Member
No, I haven't. I have two aussies, so there is no need.
But I wish this kit had been available a few years ago. Now 18 years ago I recued a little black pup from the shelter and I was told he was a new foundlandmix. Well, I have never been able to find that breed in him:D Since he was only 19 inches tall. I always thought he was a bordermix. My grandmother thought he might have been a Friese Staby mix(that's a dutch breed)

I would have liked to test him for his ancestors;)

Hayley Thompson

Cute Pictures! Anneke, Sounds like if there was Newfoundland in your pup it would be a little way back, Newfoundland's almost have a full 10 inches on your pretty guy! I have been thinking about getting a DNA test for Riley, when we got her, we saw both parents and were told one was a purebred border collie and they werent sure about the other, not saying that looks say much as DuncansMom will agree with, Riley's dad looked to be very close if not purebred border collie as well. Riley definatley has all the characteristics of a purebred...so I dont know, maybe someday I'll get it done...but I'm tempted to carry out the DNA testing myself as I am going through school to be a BioScience Lab Technologist.....hmmm just need to get my hands on a purebred border collie and a zillion other breeds to compare her too!!!

abby_someone

I have not even heard of this. The geek in me is super excited, and even though I know the ancestry of my dog....I wanna try it out!!! Right now!!!

Now, out comes the cheap (frugal?) part of my personality.....He wonders what good this would do, other than satisfy my curiosity. Each dog is so very different, even within their own breed that I just need to get to know my dog to know what they are like.

I had a mutt when I was growing up, greatest dog I ever had!

Still wonder what she was......;)

DuncansMom

Yea, for me it really wasn't worth the $60+ dollars, except it assured me that he is definitely a mutt. I still have to make up answers when people ask what breed he is.
I usually say he's a mutt, mixed with whatever breed they want to talk about - pointer, springer spaniel, border-collie, etc and they tell me about their old border-collies or pointers or springer spaniels and how much they loved them. lol

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I hear most of these are scams, but, certainly, there must be one or two that are true dna tests....keep in mind, i could buy some swabbies, and set up a website, and offer to send you your dog's heritage....is no law against this. If there is a law against it, by the time enough ppl complained, i could close up shop, and start a new website to "test" your dog's dna.

i could even set up various email accounts to post awesome reviews of my own DNA website....

My neighbor dropped the cash for the DNA test on her dog, and i gotta tell ya, i did roll around lauging when she read it to me. Her dog looks absolutely NOTHING like the breeds listed, i mean, nothing at ALL. Just absolutely nothing in common with the breed list she got back, and completely opposite of many of the breeds.
She is now far more confused than she was prior to mailing in the DNA. I told her, "Next time someone asks what breeds are in your beautiful dog, tell them that Jive is a full blooded Bitsa.....bitsa this, bitsa that...all your favorite breeds all in one dog!!"

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
To Anneke, if i had to bet, i'd bet your gorgeous dog is a border collie/ teruvian shephard mix. Whatever it is, is sure is beautiful dog!!

EDIT: oh wait, only 19 inches tall? okay then, i take it all back!! lol, put me down for "no clue"! still an adorable dog!

heidio

I love it...full blooded Bitsa. Very true tigerlily, one just never knows wether these places are scams. I say just pick the couple breeds you think and run with it. It doesn't change how great the dog is. My personal opinion is that mutts are the most well balance breed out there.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
If i had to bet Duncan's lineage, i'd bet a malamute/border collie/spaniel mix, and yeah, maybe some whippet for that svelte waist he has. I do see a lot a alaska malamute in his body shape and tail and shape of his head....and the spots and white ring around his neck looks border collie-ish to me.....

but Whatever mix he is, he sure is gorgeous!!

jennyw

Yes we used the Wisdom panel test on our Jess, so many people had an opinion on what was in her we nearly started taking bets. According to the test she is at least 25% Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and at least 15% GSD (which explains the ears!), Airedale Terrier and Rottweiler! Maybe it is a scam but I do like reeling off the list whenever anyone asks! But to quote a mug I have "I's no mutt, I's one of a kind!"

DuncansMom

If i had to bet Duncan's lineage, i'd bet a malamute/border collie/spaniel mix, and yeah, maybe some whippet for that svelte waist he has. I do see a lot a alaska malamute in his body shape and tail and shape of his head....and the spots and white ring around his neck looks border collie-ish to me.....

but Whatever mix he is, he sure is gorgeous!!
Thanks!

DuncansMom

Yes we used the Wisdom panel test on our Jess, so many people had an opinion on what was in her we nearly started taking bets. According to the test she is at least 25% Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and at least 15% GSD (which explains the ears!), Airedale Terrier and Rottweiler! Maybe it is a scam but I do like reeling off the list whenever anyone asks! But to quote a mug I have "I's no mutt, I's one of a kind!"
Great quote :D

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Yes we used the Wisdom panel test on our Jess, so many people had an opinion on what was in her we nearly started taking bets. According to the test she is at least 25% Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and at least 15% GSD (which explains the ears!), Airedale Terrier and Rottweiler! Maybe it is a scam but I do like reeling off the list whenever anyone asks! But to quote a mug I have "I's no mutt, I's one of a kind!"​
Jennyw, is that JESS next to your new puppy?? AWWWWW! You must be so excited with her progress. :) So happy to see her so calm next to another dog.
Apologies for the minor thread derailing. ^^

jennyw

Yep that's my girl! She's doing great, so much better than this time last year. Still have to be very careful where we walk her but we have a plan from a great behaviourist to work on and I know she will carry on making progress. Little Finley idolizes her, they have a lot of fun together. I'm so proud of her, can't believe she's the same dog sometimes! You guys gave me so much help, it meant a lot when things were very difficult. :)